Weighted least-squares fit error propagation

In summary: Therefore, the uncertainties in A and B are given by the equations: \sigma_{A} = \sqrt{\frac{\Sigma w x^{2}}{\Delta}}\\\sigma_{B} = \sqrt{\frac{\Sigma w}{\Delta}} In summary, the best estimates of the constants A and B for a linear relation between variables x and y can be calculated using the equations A = \frac{\Sigma w x^{2}\Sigma w y - \Sigma w x \Sigma w x y}{\Delta} and B = \frac{\Sigma w \Sigma w x y - \Sigma w x \Sigma w y}{\Delta}, where the weight of each measurement is defined as w_{i} =
mbigras

Homework Statement

Suppose we measure N pairs of values (xi, yi) of two variables x and y that are supposed to statisfy a linear relation y = A + Bx suppose the xi have negligible uncertainty and the yi have different uncertainties [itex]\sigma_{i}[/itex]. We can define the weight of the ith measurement as [itex]w_{i} = 1/\sigma_{i}[/itex]. Then the best estimates of A and B are:

[tex]
A = \frac{\Sigma w x^{2}\Sigma w y - \Sigma w x \Sigma w x y}{\Delta}\\
B = \frac{\Sigma w \Sigma w x y - \Sigma w x \Sigma w y}{\Delta}\\
\Delta = \Sigma w \Sigma x^{2} - \left(\Sigma w x \right)^{2}
[/tex]

Use error propagation to prove that the uncertainties in the constants A and B are given by

[tex]
\sigma_{A} = \sqrt{\frac{\Sigma w x^{2}}{\Delta}}\\
\sigma_{B} = \sqrt{\frac{\Sigma w}{\Delta}}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

rules for sums and differences
[tex]
q = x \pm z\\
\delta q = \sqrt{(\delta x)^{2} + (\delta z)^{2}}\\
[/tex]
rules for products and quotients
[tex]
\delta q = \sqrt{(\delta x/x)^{2} + (\delta z/z)^{2}}\\
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm thinking is because the uncertainty in x is negligible it will be treated like a constant. I'm not sure how to deal with all these sums. I feel like I don't know how to approach this question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try calculating E(A2) etc. The negligible uncertainty in the x allows you to treat the Δ denominators as constant.

Related to Weighted least-squares fit error propagation

1. What is weighted least-squares fit error propagation?

Weighted least-squares fit error propagation is a method used in data analysis to estimate the uncertainties in the parameters of a model fit. It takes into account the uncertainties in both the independent and dependent variables, and assigns weights to each data point based on their associated errors.

2. How is weighted least-squares fit error propagation different from regular least-squares fit?

The main difference between weighted and regular least-squares fit is that in weighted least-squares, the data points with larger errors are given less weight in the fitting process, while in regular least-squares, all data points are given equal weight. This means that weighted least-squares takes into account the reliability of each data point, resulting in a more accurate fit.

3. How is the error in the fitted model determined using weighted least-squares fit?

The error in the fitted model is determined by calculating the root mean square error (RMSE) of the fit. This is done by taking the square root of the sum of the squared residuals, where the residuals are the differences between the predicted values and the actual values of the data points. The lower the RMSE, the better the fit.

4. What are some advantages of using weighted least-squares fit error propagation?

One advantage is that it takes into account the uncertainties in both the independent and dependent variables, resulting in a more accurate fit. It also allows for the identification of outliers, which can be removed from the fitting process. Additionally, weighted least-squares can handle non-linear relationships between variables, making it more versatile than regular least-squares fit.

5. Are there any limitations to using weighted least-squares fit error propagation?

One limitation is that it assumes the errors in the data points are normally distributed. If this is not the case, the results may not be accurate. Additionally, it can be computationally intensive, especially with large datasets. Another limitation is that it requires an estimation of the errors associated with each data point, which may not always be available or accurate.