Weight on a Hypothetical Planet

In summary, the mass of a hypothetical planet is 1/100 that of Earth and its radius is 1/4 that of Earth. If a person weight 600 N on Earth, what would he weigh on this planet.
raptik

Homework Statement

The mass of a hypothetical planet is 1/100 that of Earth and its radius is 1/4 that of Earth. If a person weight 600 N on Earth, what would he weigh on this planet

Homework Equations

F = (G x M x m)/(R2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know the mass of the person is the same so I rearrange this equation in terms of m and make it equal to the two equations based on their different conditions:
m = (Fe x Re2)/(Me x G) = (Fp x Rp2)/(Mp x G)

Working out for Fp I get Fp = (Mp/Me) x (G/G) x (Re2/Rp2) x Fe = 100 x 1 x (1/16) x 600N = 3750 N.

This is wrong. Somebody please help me understand what I'm doing wrong. What's the error in my method?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the equation for force exerted by the planet.

F = (G x M x m)/(R2)

You know G (a constant), M (1/100 the mass of the earth), and R (1/4 the radius of the earth).

All you need is the mass of the person. If the Earth exerts 600N on this person, then his mass is equal to 600N/(9.8N/Kg). Just plug in all your values and it should be correct. I think you are just overcomplicating the process of finding the mass of the person. And also make sure that all of your units are correct.

If you think about it, the answer you have doesn't make sense. The force should me much smaller since the mass of the planet is much smaller while the radius doesn't change that much.

Last edited:
guitarguy1 said:
Just plug in all your values and it should be correct. I think you are just overcomplicating the process of finding the mass of the person. And also make sure that all of your units are correct.

If you think about it, the answer you have doesn't make sense. The force should me much smaller since the mass of the planet is much smaller while the radius doesn't change that much.

So the only way to solve this is to know the actual values of Earth's mass and Radius and adjust to their respective ratios and plug in the m? I was hoping there would be a way to simply utilize the ratios without having to know the Earth's mass or Radius. Also, I understand that my answer is wrong, but could you tell me where exactly I'm going off course. In theory, I think my idea works but clearly it doesn't. Could somebody explain why?

raptik said:
Working out for Fp I get Fp = (Mp/Me) x (G/G) x (Re2/Rp2) x Fe = 100 x 1 x (1/16) x 600N = 3750 N.

Your method is fine. You just got the ratios Mp/Me and Re2/Rp2 backwards when you plugged in the numbers.

Last edited:
raptik said:
So the only way to solve this is to know the actual values of Earth's mass and Radius and adjust to their respective ratios and plug in the m? I was hoping there would be a way to simply utilize the ratios without having to know the Earth's mass or Radius. Also, I understand that my answer is wrong, but could you tell me where exactly I'm going off course. In theory, I think my idea works but clearly it doesn't. Could somebody explain why?

Like I said before, to find the mass you don't need to use the mass and radius of the earth. The gravitational force on the surface of the Earth is 9.8 N/Kg. So take 600N/(9.8N/Kg) and it will give the mass of the person.

Doc Al said:
Your method is fine. You just got the ratios Mp/Me and Re2/Rp2 backwards when you plugged in the numbers.

Oh! Clearly. I can't afford to have those kinds of stupid mistakes on an exam. Thnx for pointing that out, I would have totally overlooked that.

Related to Weight on a Hypothetical Planet

1. What is the formula for calculating weight on a hypothetical planet?

The formula for calculating weight on a hypothetical planet is W = m x g, where W represents weight, m represents mass, and g represents the gravitational acceleration on the planet.

2. How does the gravitational acceleration on a hypothetical planet affect weight?

The gravitational acceleration on a hypothetical planet directly affects weight. The higher the gravitational acceleration, the greater the weight will be. This means that objects will feel heavier on planets with a higher gravitational acceleration compared to those with a lower gravitational acceleration.

3. How does the mass of an object impact its weight on a hypothetical planet?

The mass of an object directly impacts its weight on a hypothetical planet. The greater the mass of an object, the more it will weigh on the planet. This is because weight is directly proportional to mass in the formula W = m x g.

4. Why is weight on a hypothetical planet different from weight on Earth?

Weight on a hypothetical planet is different from weight on Earth because the gravitational acceleration varies from planet to planet. This means that the same object will have a different weight on different planets due to the varying strength of gravity.

5. How is weight measured on a hypothetical planet?

Weight on a hypothetical planet can be measured using a scale that takes into account the planet's gravitational acceleration. Alternatively, weight can also be calculated using the formula W = m x g, where m is the mass of the object and g is the gravitational acceleration on the planet.