Weight of Objects in Space: Explained in Layman's Terms

• Thread starter AGC8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of an object's weight in space and whether it would feel heavier at different distances from the ground. It was clarified that the gravitational force is constant over short distances and decreases over large distances. The speaker also asked if a weight would feel heavier over time when held in one hand on the ground, to which it was explained that this feeling is due to muscle fatigue and not a change in the weight itself.
AGC8
First. I'm not a high school student studying physics. Has been decades since I was. I just have a basic question about "object's weight in space". So please excuse my vocab if I don't use the right wording and if you could explain it to me in layman's terms. Not as a student of physics.

My question is...if you held a 20 pound weight to your side standing on the ground and did so again hanging from a gymnastic bar parallel to the ground 20 feet up...would the weight not feel heavier because gravity is pulling it to the ground?

If you had this same 20-lb weight in your hand and climbed a ladder would it not get progressively heavier?

Thanks guys.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I'm not clear on how your thought process, but no, over short distances, the gravitational force is constant. Over large distances, it decreases (see Newton's law of gravity equation).

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

I'm not clear on how your thought process, but no, over short distances, the gravitational force is constant. Over large distances, it decreases (see Newton's law of gravity equation).

Ok Thanks Russ. I just assumed a weight would "feel heavier" the higher it is off the ground. As I said. It's been decades since I opened a physics book. Nor was I a science buff in school. Thanks for not going too "Big Bang Theory" on me. I'm not a student of physics obviously. Just thought this would be one of the best places to ask.

Maybe you (or anyone else here) could answer a similar question...if you were holding a 30-lb dumbell in one hand standing on the ground..why would it feel heavier over time? Besides muscle fatigue. Is it simply that gravity is constantly pulling the weight towards the ground?

AGC8 said:
if you were holding a 30-lb dumbell in one hand standing on the ground..why would it feel heavier over time? Besides muscle fatigue. Is it simply that gravity is constantly pulling the weight towards the ground?
Why would the answer be anything other than muscle fatigue? If gravity is constantly pulling the weight downward then its downward force is constant.

The feeling in your muscles is due to fatigue, the muscles get "tired". There is no change in the weight.
Same as running for a long time. It feels harder to run the last meters but this is not due to something pulling you back harder as you move away from your starting point.

Related to Weight of Objects in Space: Explained in Layman's Terms

1. What is the weight of an object in space?

The weight of an object in space is dependent on its mass and the gravitational pull of the celestial body it is near. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, so it can vary in different locations in space.

2. How does weight differ from mass in space?

Weight and mass are often used interchangeably, but they are two different concepts. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. In space, mass remains constant, but weight can vary depending on the gravitational pull.

3. Can objects have weight in zero gravity?

Zero gravity does not mean there is no gravity at all, it just means there is very little or no net gravitational force acting on an object. In this case, the object's weight would be close to zero, but it would still have mass.

4. How does the weight of an object change as it moves farther away from Earth?

The weight of an object decreases as it moves farther away from Earth because the gravitational pull of Earth decreases with distance. This is why astronauts appear weightless in space, as they are far enough from Earth that the gravitational pull is significantly reduced.

5. Why do objects have different weights on different planets?

The weight of an object on a planet is determined by the planet's mass and size. The larger and more massive a planet is, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. This means an object would weigh more on a larger, more massive planet compared to a smaller, less massive planet.