Webpage title: Understanding Angular Displacement in Circular Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angular displacement and its distinction from distance. It is mentioned that a horse walking in circles and a sailor operating a winch can have different amounts of work for the same angular displacement. The difference between displacement and distance is also explained, with displacement referring to the distance from starting point to ending point and distance referring to the total distance traveled. It is clarified that the angular displacement in this scenario is 10 degrees, not 370 degrees. However, there may be some subjectivity in determining the appropriate amount of angular displacement in practical situations.
goonking

Homework Statement

I play swing a yo yo above my head in a circular horizontal motion.
The yoyo travels around 370 degrees.
what is the angular displacement?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

would I say the angular displacement is 10 degrees? or still 370 degrees? or would both work? which one is preferred if both work?

Physics news on Phys.org
A horse working to keep a water wheel going walks in circles. It knows the difference between 0 degrees and 36000 degrees displacement !

Idem for a sailor operating a winch: he does ten times as much work for a 3600 degree angular displacement as for a 1 full turn angular displacement. But his angular position after an integer number of turns is indistinguishable from the initial angular position.

On a practical note: it depends. So some judgment is indispensable.

What is the difference between displacement and distance? Can you apply the same concept to angular displacement?

PWiz said:
What is the difference between displacement and distance? Can you apply the same concept to angular displacement?
displacement is how the distance from starting point to ending. which is 10 degrees

distance is total distance traveled, which is 370 degrees.

but would i be wrong if i said displacement is 370 degrees?

Related to Webpage title: Understanding Angular Displacement in Circular Motion

1. What is angular displacement?

Angular displacement is a measure of the change in orientation of an object with respect to a reference point. It is usually measured in degrees or radians.

2. How is angular displacement different from linear displacement?

Angular displacement measures the change in orientation of an object, while linear displacement measures the change in position of an object.

3. How is angular displacement calculated?

Angular displacement is calculated by taking the difference between the initial and final angular positions of an object.

4. What is the unit of measurement for angular displacement?

The unit of measurement for angular displacement is usually degrees (°) or radians (rad).

5. How is angular displacement used in physics?

Angular displacement is used in physics to describe the rotation of an object and to calculate its angular velocity and acceleration.