Webpage title: The Quantum Nature of the Fresnel Effect

In summary, the fresnel equations describe the average result of individual photon-material interactions, and the outcome of each interaction is determined by chance at the quantum level. This is the modern consensus in quantum mechanics, supported by experiments such as the EPR and Alain Aspect's work. Each photon carries a particular frequency, which contributes to the overall color of light produced. The difference in absorption between conductors and dielectrics can be understood through the solid state matter theory of conduction bands and the quantum mechanical Bloch and Fermi theory. Due to the Heisenberg principle, the exact frequency of a photon is not known, but experiments show a distribution of frequencies over a range.
playmesumch00ns
I work in computer graphics so I use and am familiar with the fresnel equations governing reflections from conductors and dielectrics. My question is about the origin of these effects. As I understand it, the fresnel equations describe the 'average' result of myriad individual photon-material interactions, so what decides (at a quantum level I guess) whether an individual photon is reflected, transmitted or absorbed?

Also am I right in thinking that each photon 'carries' a particular frequency of light with it, such that a particular colour of light is generated by the number of photons with each different frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!

What decides the fate of an individual photon is chance. [Of course, is photons impinge on surfaces with different properties, some have better chances than others]

This is the modern view of quantum mechanics. The subject was heavily debated for the first half-century of QM, but now consensus is (almost) universal. Some very convincing experiments tell that only chance decides - there can be no "hidden parameter" unknown to us but attached to the particle that decides its fate.

Keywords : EPR Einstein Podolsky Rosen, and also Alain Aspect and several more.

ok sure I know that it's chance, I'm asking what decides the probabilities that go into the "dice roll"

The Fresnel equations follow from the boundary condition on the E,D,,B,H fields of a classical EM wave. This is treated in most advanced EM texts, and many optical texts.
For a single photon, the resulting reflection and transmission coefficients are probabilities for reflection and transmission of a single photon.

You are right about each photon carrying a particular frequency.

Ok, thanks, but that's a little opaque. Is there any way to understand it in physical terms? What is it about the fact that metals conduct electricity that causes them to absorb a large part of the spectrum while dielectrics absorb very little?

It is a solid state matter...

have you ever heard about conduction bands or something like this?

see Bloch and Fermi theory of bands. It is a quantum mechenical thoeory that can asnwer your questions about metals and dieletric.

About the photons:

yes they, as all the particles, have a frequencies... but it is not well known since you hit with Heisenberg principle...what you actually see in experiments are distributions of frequanciese spread over a range ;)

bye

marco

Related to Webpage title: The Quantum Nature of the Fresnel Effect

What is the Fresnel effect?

The Fresnel effect is an optical phenomenon that occurs when light hits a smooth, shiny surface at an angle. It causes the light to reflect more strongly at certain angles, resulting in a brighter and more concentrated reflection.

Who discovered the Fresnel effect?

The Fresnel effect was first described by French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel in the early 19th century. He observed that light reflecting off a smooth surface appeared brighter when viewed at certain angles, and developed a mathematical formula to explain this phenomenon.

What causes the Fresnel effect?

The Fresnel effect is caused by the way light behaves when it hits a smooth surface at an angle. When light hits a surface, some of it is reflected and some of it is transmitted through the material. The amount of light reflected depends on the angle of incidence and the refractive index of the material.

What are some real-world applications of the Fresnel effect?

The Fresnel effect is used in a variety of applications, including photography, cinema, and architecture. In photography, it can be seen in the highlights and reflections on shiny surfaces. In cinema, it is used to create realistic lighting effects. In architecture, it is used in the design of buildings to control the amount of light entering a space and create visually interesting effects.

How does the Fresnel effect impact our daily lives?

The Fresnel effect may seem like a small and insignificant phenomenon, but it actually has a big impact on our daily lives. It can affect the way we see and perceive objects, and is used in various technologies that we use every day, such as cameras, televisions, and computer screens. It also plays a role in the design and aesthetics of buildings, objects, and products that we interact with on a daily basis.