Weak interaction cross-section

In summary: Number density is proportional to T^3 because it's a measure of how densely packed something is, and the universe is radiation dominated so it has to do with space.
Orbital

Homework Statement

Cross-sections for weak interactions at an energy E increase with E as [itex]E^2[/itex]. Show that the rate of weak interactions in the early universe depends on the temperature T as [itex]\sigma_{wk} \propto T^5[/itex]2. The attempt at a solution
The only formula I can find is
[tex]\sigma_{wk} = g_{wk}^2 \left[ \frac{k_B T}{(\bar{h} c)^2} \right]^2[/tex]
where [itex]g_{wk} \approx 1.4 \times 10^{49}[/itex] erg cm^3 is the weak interaction coupling constant.
I have no clue on how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 'rate' depends upon more than the cross section. Find a formula for rate.

I cannot find any such formula...

Ok. Then we'll have to make one up. What other factors besides cross section would affect the interaction rate?

The number density and the speed of the particles i guess.

Hey, you're pretty good at this! Would you say proportional to both and the cross section (at least roughly)?

I'm not sure... I found a formula

[tex] \tau_{coll} = \frac{1}{n \sigma_{wk} c}[/tex]

where

[tex]n = 0.2 \left( \frac{k_BT}{\bar{h} c} \right)^3[/tex]

is the number density. This would give

[tex]\tau_{coll} \propto \frac{1}{T^5}[/tex]

but this is not it, is it?

That is it! tau is the inverse of the rate, right? Under what conditions can you use that formula and are they compatible with the description 'early universe'? What happened to our velocity dependence?

Maybe the particles have the speed of light? But what about the energy in the problem statement?

Yes, it assumes the particles are relativistic. I'll throw the other question back to you. What's the relation between T and E?

They are essentially the same?

Up to a constant (Boltzmann's to be specific), sure. If you understand why number density is proportional to T^3 then I think you have the whole thing (hint: it also assumes the universe is radiation dominated).

You know, I think number density is proportional to T^3 regardless of domination.

Uhm, has it got something to do with 3d space?

It also has to do with red-shift. E is proportional to 1/a, where a is the scale factor.

Last edited:

Related to Weak interaction cross-section

What is the weak interaction cross-section?

The weak interaction cross-section is a measure of the probability of a weak interaction occurring between two particles. It is a fundamental property of particles and is used to describe the strength of the weak interaction force.

How is the weak interaction cross-section calculated?

The weak interaction cross-section is calculated using the theory of quantum mechanics. It takes into account the properties of the particles involved, such as their masses and charges, as well as the energy and distance at which the interaction occurs.

What is the significance of the weak interaction cross-section?

The weak interaction cross-section is important in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It is also used in the design and analysis of experiments in particle physics.

What factors can affect the weak interaction cross-section?

The weak interaction cross-section can be influenced by several factors, including the energy and distance of the interaction, the properties of the particles involved, and the presence of other particles or fields in the surrounding environment.

How does the weak interaction cross-section differ from other types of cross-sections?

The weak interaction cross-section is specific to the weak interaction force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. Other types of cross-sections, such as the electromagnetic or strong interaction cross-sections, are associated with different forces and have different properties and behaviors.