We need a topology subforum

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
In summary, Greg suggests that a forum be renamed Topology & Geometry to better reflect the content and that a mention of tensor analysis be included in the description.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Whenever there is something topology-related I want to post, I never know which forum to post it in! And I'm not alone; topology-related posts are scatered throughout the math section.

So I suggest we either make a topology/algebraic topology subforum in the math section or add "topology" to the "tensor analysis & differential geometry" or "Calculus and analysis".

Physics news on Phys.org
You get a topology section when I get my aero section! :devil:

What about the chocolate subforum?!?

Evo said:
There was a lengthy discussion on topology here.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=195378
Any reason why nothing has been done yet? Really, a simple renaming of the "Tensor Analysis & Differential Geometry" to "Topology & Geometry" should be more than enough.

Greg?!?

Hurkyl had this opinion, last time round:
Hurkyl said:
I do like the 8 forum titles Chris suggested.Probability & statistics doesn't really fit well with logic, sets, & categories, so that split is a very good one... and I'm not sure if either of those two can be wedged in well with the other 6 forums.

Maybe topology & analysis can be reasonably merged with manifolds & geometry?Greg, is it okay to add subfora? Maybe we could take Chris's list, rename "combinatorics and number theory" to "discrete math and number theory" and move logic, sets, and categories a subforum of that?

Chris said:
Let me try to reconcile my proposal with Matt's:

• Calculus and Miscellaneous
  • Combinatorics, Graphs, and Number Theory
  • Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems
  • Linear and Modern Algebra
  • Foundations (Logic, Sets, Categories)
  • Manifolds and Geometry
  • Measure Theory, Probability, Information Theory, Statistics
  • Topology and Analysis

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1518774&postcount=35
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1512071&postcount=25

So, what's the verdict?

Give the man his topology forum I say!

I think a rename is best, because there really isn't that much posts made about topology.

The idea I favor the most so far is morphism's renaming of "Tensor Analysis & Differential Geometry" to "Topology & Geometry", then mention tensor analysis in the description of the forum.

Thanks Greg!

quasar987 said:
I think a rename is best, because there really isn't that much posts made about topology.

If there aren't that many posts about topology, then why do we need to rename a forum to include it in the title? Such posts, if few in number, could simply be put in general maths. This is really a matter for the maths mentors to decide, though.

cristo said:
If there aren't that many posts about topology, then why do we need to rename a forum to include it in the title? Such posts, if few in number, could simply be put in general maths. This is really a matter for the maths mentors to decide, though.
Look up. :smile:

Thank you Greg.

morphism said:
Thank you Greg.

Now post away in it and don't make me regret it! :)

quasar987 said:

The idea I favor the most so far is morphism's renaming of "Tensor Analysis & Differential Geometry" to "Topology & Geometry", then mention tensor analysis in the description of the forum.

Thanks Greg!
I know I'm late, but I am also happy with this.

Related to We need a topology subforum

What is a topology subforum?

A topology subforum is a dedicated space within a larger online forum that focuses specifically on the field of topology. It allows users to discuss, ask questions, and share information about topology-related topics.

Why do we need a topology subforum?

A topology subforum is necessary because topology is a complex and diverse field that requires a dedicated space for discussion and exchange of ideas. It allows for better organization and easier access to information for those interested in topology.

Who can benefit from a topology subforum?

Anyone interested in topology, whether it be students, researchers, or professionals, can benefit from a topology subforum. It provides a platform to connect and engage with others who share the same interests and expertise in topology.

What types of discussions can take place in a topology subforum?

A topology subforum can host a variety of discussions, including but not limited to, sharing research findings, asking for help with difficult concepts, discussing new developments in the field, and exchanging resources and ideas related to topology.

How can a topology subforum contribute to the advancement of topology?

A topology subforum can contribute to the advancement of topology by fostering a community of individuals passionate about the subject. It allows for collaboration, knowledge sharing, and the generation of new ideas that can push the boundaries of topology further.