Wavevector in infinite square well

In summary, when dealing with the simple infinite square well, the condition for the k-vector of the electron can be represented as either k = n.pi / L or k = 2n.pi / L. The choice of which boundary condition to use depends on the disappearing wave-function at the boundaries. Usually, the first condition is used when the total length of the square well is defined as L, while the second condition is used when the total length is defined as 2L. This can vary depending on how the well is defined, with some sources using L and others using 2L.
Master J
Right guys, I want to get this one straight...

We have all seen the simple infinite square well a million times. From it, we can get the condition for the k-vector of the electron that

k = n.pi / L

Now, I also come across all the time that k = 2n.pi / L

When do we use which boundary condition? They both seem to come from the same situation, but I cannot see when one is used?

It's a simple situation that's been bugging me a while! Hope someone can clear this up.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
The wave-function needs to disappear at the 2 boundaries, so whichever k produces the disappearing wave-function at the 2 boundaries is the k that you should use. Usually the problem is defined so that L is the total length of the square well, so you should use the first one. The second one would be used if the total length of the square well was, for some reason, 1/2L.

It would help if you could give us specific references to sites/books/whatever that do it each way, otherwise we have to guess.

My guess is that it's because some sources define the well as having width L, with either 0 < x < L or -L/2 < x < +L/2; and some define the well as having width 2L, with -L < x < L.

Did I get the lengths backwards...? Should it be L and 2L? My apologies if I did, I just tried to work it out in my head.

I can't actually think of any right now, I just know I've seen it come up. For instance, in deriving the Density of States from the Free Electron Model.

So you think it's just from the fact that one can define the width of the well as L or 2L?

Related to Wavevector in infinite square well

What is the wavevector in an infinite square well?

The wavevector in an infinite square well is a term used in quantum mechanics to describe the momentum of a particle confined within a potential well. It is represented by the symbol k and is given by the equation k = nπ/L, where n is the quantum number and L is the length of the well.

How does the wavevector relate to the energy levels in an infinite square well?

The wavevector is directly related to the energy levels in an infinite square well. The energy of a particle in the well is given by the equation E = (h^2 * k^2)/(8m), where h is Planck's constant and m is the mass of the particle. This means that as the wavevector increases, the energy levels also increase.

What is the significance of the wavevector in the context of quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the wavevector is a fundamental concept that helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is a key parameter in determining the energy and momentum of a confined particle, and is used in various equations and models to describe the behavior of quantum systems.

How does the wavevector change when the length of the infinite square well is altered?

The wavevector is inversely proportional to the length of the infinite square well. This means that as the length of the well increases, the value of the wavevector decreases. This relationship is important in understanding the energy levels in the well, as changes in the length of the well can affect the energy and momentum of the confined particle.

Can the wavevector have a negative value in an infinite square well?

No, the wavevector in an infinite square well cannot have a negative value. This is because the particle in the well is confined and cannot have a negative momentum. The wavevector must always be a positive value, and its direction is determined by the direction of the particle's motion within the well.