Waves questions from Cambridge physics paper 9702

In summary, the conversation is about two questions in Cambridge university physics papers, one from October/November 2008 and the other from May/June 2012. The questions are asking about the motion of the transmitter or receiver and whether they are both about standing waves and the distance between neighboring maxima being half of the wavelength. The poster is unsure if the questions are the same and if the Doppler effect is important. They are also looking for the relevant equations for constructive/destructive wave interference.
Michael Marchenko
I want to ask about question 27 in Cambridge university physics paper 9702/01 of October/November 2008

https://physics18.weebly.com/uploads/5/9/8/5/59854633/9702_w08_qp_01.pdfand question 30 in Cambridge university physics paper 9702/12 of May/June 2012.

https://physics18.weebly.com/uploads/5/9/8/5/59854633/9702_s12_qp_12.pdfIs the motion of the transmitter or receiver important?

Are they both about standing waves and that is why the distance between the neighboring maxima = half of the wavelength?

Are these questions the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Michael Marchenko said:
I want to ask about question 27 in Cambridge university physics paper 9702/01 of October/November 2008

https://physics18.weebly.com/uploads/5/9/8/5/59854633/9702_w08_qp_01.pdfand question 30 in Cambridge university physics paper 9702/12 of May/June 2012.

https://physics18.weebly.com/uploads/5/9/8/5/59854633/9702_s12_qp_12.pdfIs the motion of the transmitter or receiver important?

Are they both about standing waves and that is why the distance between the neighboring maxima = half of the wavelength?

Are these questions the same?
Welcome to the PF, @Michael Marchenko :smile:

Your first post is in a format that is unusual for our schoolwork forums. Usually students post a single problem using the Homework Help Template that you are provided when starting a new schoolwork thread, and fill out their work in the Template to show where they are in solving the problem.

But your question is a bit different. You are asking a general question about the commonality between two study questions. It's still appropriate to post this here in the schoolwork forums, but there are a couple of things you could do that would help us to help you on this question.

** First, please take screenshots of the two problems, and Upload them to your next Reply. It's a bit unreasonable to ask helpers to look through two long PDF files to try to find the problems you are asking about.

** Second, please share your thoughts about the question you are asking -- Do you think the questions are asking about the same thing?

Thanks very much. Thread is re-opened, and we are looking forward to your reply. :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF, @Michael Marchenko :smile:

Your first post is in a format that is unusual for our schoolwork forums. Usually students post a single problem using the Homework Help Template that you are provided when starting a new schoolwork thread, and fill out their work in the Template to show where they are in solving the problem.

But your question is a bit different. You are asking a general question about the commonality between two study questions. It's still appropriate to post this here in the schoolwork forums, but there are a couple of things you could do that would help us to help you on this question.

** First, please take screenshots of the two problems, and Upload them to your next Reply. It's a bit unreasonable to ask helpers to look through two long PDF files to try to find the problems you are asking about.

** Second, please share your thoughts about the question you are asking -- Do you think the questions are asking about the same thing?

Thanks very much. Thread is re-opened, and we are looking forward to your reply. :smile:
I cannot copy the questions separately. Sorry. I am trying. May be I will do that later.

Michael Marchenko said:
I cannot copy the questions separately. Sorry. I am trying. May be I will do that later.
I can try to do it for you, but all you have to do is take Windows screenshots of the individual pages, and paste them into JPEG images in Paint or a similar program. Are you familiar with using Alt-PrntScrn to take screenshots in Windows?

upload_2017-11-12_9-18-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-12_9-18-26.png
    upload_2017-11-12_9-18-26.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 427
upload_2017-11-12_9-19-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-12_9-19-41.png
    upload_2017-11-12_9-19-41.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 480
How do I take into account the motion of the source or the receiver?

Michael Marchenko said:
How do I take into account the motion of the source or the receiver?
It looks like it is just a matter of constructive and destructive interference as a function of position along the axis in each question. There is no Doppler component in the motion part of the questions, IMO. Is htat your question?

berkeman said:
It looks like it is just a matter of constructive and destructive interference as a function of position along the axis in each question. There is no Doppler component in the motion part of the questions, IMO. Is htat your question?
Doppler effect may be important here. I still do not understand what are the correct answers to these questions and why.

Michael Marchenko said:
Doppler effect may be important here.
Why do you say that? To include the Doppler effect, we would need to know the velocity of the receiver,.
Michael Marchenko said:
I still do not understand what are the correct answers to these questions and why.
Can you post the Relevant Equations for simple constructive/destructive wave interference problems like these? :smile:

berkeman said:
Why do you say that. To include the Doppler effect, we would need to know the velocity of the receiver, n

Can you post the Relevant Equations for simple constructive/destructive wave interference problems like these? :smile:
Doppler effect may be important here because it may have qualitative effect because the relative speed is unknown.

I do not know how to post equations here.

Michael Marchenko said:
Doppler effect may be important here because it may have qualitative effect because the relative speed is unknown.
Nah, you can safely stop thinking about the Doppler effect in these two problems.
Michael Marchenko said:
I do not know how to post equations here.
Three options:

1) Type them

2) click on the ∑ above the edit window to get access to some math symbols

3) read the LaTeX tutorial when you click on INFO at the top of the page, and follow it to Help/How-To

:smile:

berkeman said:
For the constructive interference the phase difference must be multiple of 360 degrees.
For destructive interference the phase difference must be odd number of 180 degrees.

Michael Marchenko said:
For the constructive interference the phase difference must be multiple of 360 degrees.
For destructive interference the phase difference must be odd number of 180 degrees.
That's pretty close. So can you apply those rules to the 2 problems to solve them?

Related to Waves questions from Cambridge physics paper 9702

1. What are the different types of waves?

There are two main types of waves: mechanical waves, which require a medium to travel through, and electromagnetic waves, which can travel through a vacuum.

2. How do waves transfer energy?

Waves transfer energy through a process called oscillation, where the particles of the medium vibrate back and forth as the wave passes through them.

3. What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

Transverse waves move perpendicular to the direction of the wave's motion, while longitudinal waves move parallel to the direction of the wave's motion.

4. How do waves change when they pass through different media?

When waves pass through different media, their speed and direction may change due to changes in the medium's density and elasticity. The frequency of the wave remains constant.

5. What are some real-world applications of waves?

Waves have many practical applications, such as communication (radio, TV, cellular signals), medical imaging (ultrasound), and navigation (sonar). They are also used in various technologies, such as microwaves, x-rays, and lasers.