Waves-Fourier-Electronics-Physics book recommendation[REQ]

• Thread starter Dweirdo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation was about a person who lacks knowledge in wave aspects and is looking for a comprehensive book to learn about waves. They received recommendations for books such as "Vibrations and Waves" by French and "The Physics of Waves" by Georgi. It was also suggested that they have a basic understanding of differential equations to better understand these books. Other recommendations included "Signals, Systems and the Computer" by Paul Chirlian and "Signals and Systems" by Oppenheim and Wilsky. It was noted that improving math skills would be beneficial in understanding these topics.
Dweirdo
Hello,

I've recently realized that i lack knowledge in all wave aspects(Communication\Physics\Mathematics).
I'm embarrassed to say that I can not explain what "bandwith" is, why Fourier analysis work, what is actutally a phase, how modulation works, how is intensity measured and what does it really mean.
The only time I've encountered a good explanation about waves was in a quantum text(Quantum Reality...), where i also encountered my ignorance.

Can anyone recommend me a comprehensive book about waves? so i could explain both basic and advanced topics in wave physics and communication theories.

My math and physics background is ok(Linear Algebra, Calculus I-II, not differential equations)

Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
A classic and inexpensive one: French, Vibrations and Waves.
A free and interesting one: "The Physics of Waves" by Georgi which can be legally downloaded from the author's website at Harvard's or from http://web.mit.edu/~alexrod7/www/mites/georgi.pdf.

But you need some very basic knowledge on differential equations (ordinary and partial) if you manna make some sense out of those books.
You might find something easier in a general physics textbook, such as Feynman's lectures on Physics, or Ohanian's Physics.

Last edited:
Agree with the previous poster.

I personally learned all this stuff eons ago from a book called - Signals, Systems and the Computer by Paul Chirlian and thought it quite good - don't know if its still about.

A STRONG suggestion though; to understand Fourier, Laplace transforms etc, and the book above did this, is to understand Distribution theory, which is its natural mathematical setting - it really makes things a hell of a lot easier. I got a book on it ages ago that is still around:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521558905/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It will not just be invaluable for what you want but will benefit just about any area of applied math you may wish to look into.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
A book on signals and systems will have all the Fourier analysis, modulation, phase, etc. that you are looking for. Will not cover physics of waves, though.

Signals and Systems by Oppenheim and Wilsky is a very good book - the first edition is good and is cheap on amazon. I also really like Linear Systems and Signals by Lathi. For more on communications, I recommend Modern Digital and Analog Communications by Lathi.

Jason

Thank you all for your recommendations, i'll check all the options out.
As far i understand though, i really need to bump up my math skills, thanks :)

Related to Waves-Fourier-Electronics-Physics book recommendation[REQ]

1. What is the difference between waves and Fourier transforms?

Waves and Fourier transforms are two related concepts in physics and mathematics. Waves refer to the propagation of energy through a medium, while Fourier transforms are mathematical tools used to analyze and decompose complex signals into simpler components. In simple terms, waves are the physical phenomenon, while Fourier transforms are the mathematical representation of that phenomenon.

2. How are waves used in electronics?

Waves are used in electronics in various ways, such as in communication systems, digital signal processing, and electronic circuit design. In communication systems, waves are used to transmit information through different mediums, such as radio waves for wireless communication or light waves for fiber optic communication. In digital signal processing, waves are used to analyze and manipulate signals, while in electronic circuit design, waves are used to design and optimize circuits for specific functionality.

3. What is the role of Fourier transforms in electronics?

Fourier transforms are essential in electronics as they allow us to analyze and understand complex signals, such as the ones found in communication systems or electronic circuits. They help in identifying the different frequency components of a signal, which is crucial in designing and optimizing electronic systems. Fourier transforms also play a significant role in data compression and error correction techniques used in modern electronics.

4. Can you recommend a book on waves, Fourier transforms, and electronics?

There are many books available on this topic, and the best one for you will depend on your level of understanding and specific interests. Some popular options include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Signals and Systems" by Alan V. Oppenheim, and "The Fourier Transform and its Applications" by Ronald N. Bracewell. It is best to read reviews and choose a book that best suits your needs.

5. How do waves and Fourier transforms relate to physics?

Waves and Fourier transforms are fundamental concepts in physics as they play a significant role in understanding and describing many natural phenomena. Waves are essential in understanding the behavior of light, sound, and other forms of energy, while Fourier transforms are used to analyze and understand complex systems in physics, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. They are also crucial in solving mathematical equations and describing physical systems in a more manageable form.