Waves caused by bodies falling in water

In summary, to model the effect of something falling onto water, the Navier-Stokes equation can be used, but it is generally too complex and must be solved numerically. The impulse-momentum theorem can also be used to approximate the impact of a falling object on water. The resulting wave will have an initial amplitude and wavelength determined by the object's properties and the water's density, and the amplitude and wavelength will change as the wave spreads out. For small objects, the wave will likely be localized, but for larger objects, it may create multiple waves of varying properties.
webdreamer
I've been trying to find equations that model the effect on water of something falling onto it (a pebble for example), without much success. Do you know them or where I can find them? It's such a common thing, it suppose it's not that hard, I just don't know where to look. It's of course a wave, but the wavelength gets smaller as it gets away from the "epicenter", sort of speak.
I also would like to know how it starts propagating, I mean, does the amplitude of the wave grows at first, as the pebble goes deeper, does it send several waves?

I'm trying to simulate the effect of bodies falling on water for a game.

Physics news on Phys.org
The most comprehensive equation for describing the motion of a wave propagated from a source in a two-dimensional fluid is the Navier-Stokes equation, which describes the conservation of momentum in the fluid. However, this equation is generally too complex to be solved analytically, and must usually be solved numerically.The simplest way to approximate the effect of something falling into water is to use the impulse-momentum theorem, which states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the impulse (force over time) applied to it. This can be used to calculate the effect of a falling object on the water, assuming the force of the object's impact is known.Assuming the falling object is small enough, its effect on the water may be modeled by a linear wave. The initial amplitude of the wave will be determined by the impulse of the object, and the initial wavelength will be determined by the size of the object and the density of the water. The amplitude of the wave will decrease with distance from the source, and the wavelength will also increase as the wave spreads out. The rate of decay of the wave's amplitude with distance will depend on the properties of the fluid. For small objects, the effect of the wave on the water will likely be localized; however, for larger objects, the wave may spread out to create multiple waves of various wavelengths, amplitudes, and directions.

Related to Waves caused by bodies falling in water

1. What causes waves when a body falls in water?

When a body falls into water, it displaces the water and creates a disturbance in the water's surface. This disturbance is what we perceive as a wave.

2. How do the size and shape of the body affect the waves?

The size and shape of the body will affect the size and shape of the waves created. A larger and heavier body will create larger and more powerful waves, while a smaller and lighter body will create smaller and less powerful waves.

3. Do waves caused by bodies falling in water have a specific pattern?

Yes, waves caused by bodies falling in water follow a specific pattern known as a circular wave pattern. This means that the waves spread out in all directions from the point of impact.

4. Can the speed of the body affect the waves?

Yes, the speed of the body can affect the waves created. A faster-moving body will create larger and more powerful waves compared to a slower-moving body.

5. Do these waves have any practical applications?

Yes, waves caused by bodies falling in water have practical applications in various fields such as oceanography, seismology, and fluid dynamics. They can also be used in recreational activities such as surfing and wakeboarding.