Wavefronts and Longitudinal Waves Displacement-Time Graph

In summary, the concepts of wavefronts and displacement-time graphs for longitudinal waves can be confusing, but they can be better understood by visualizing the wave from a different perspective and examining the displacement of individual points on the wave. While the crest of a transverse wave occurs where displacement is a maximum, the compression of a longitudinal wave occurs at points with zero displacement.
Peter G.
Hi,

I am studying waves and I am having a hard time understanding the following concepts:

Wavefronts: I understand the principle. The only thing confusing me is when my teacher was explaining, he drew a light ray and lines perpendicular to that ray and he said those were the crests of the wave. How? I don´t understand that, unless we are looking at the wave from the "side", similar to the view we have of a wave in an oscilloscope, then I understand how those perpendicular lines are the crest and are therefore points in phase.

Displacement Time Graphs of Longitudinal Waves: When I was learning about longitudinal and transverse waves I learned how, in a transverse wave, the oscillations are perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer, yet, the displacement time graph os a longitudinal wave is a sine curve... How doesn't that imply that the oscillations are at 90 degrees to the direction of motion?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter G. said:
Hi,

I am studying waves and I am having a hard time understanding the following concepts:

Wavefronts: I understand the principle. The only thing confusing me is when my teacher was explaining, he drew a light ray and lines perpendicular to that ray and he said those were the crests of the wave. How? I don´t understand that, unless we are looking at the wave from the "side", similar to the view we have of a wave in an oscilloscope, then I understand how those perpendicular lines are the crest and are therefore points in phase.

Displacement Time Graphs of Longitudinal Waves: When I was learning about longitudinal and transverse waves I learned how, in a transverse wave, the oscillations are perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer, yet, the displacement time graph of a longitudinal wave is a sine curve... How doesn't that imply that the oscillations are at 90 degrees to the direction of motion?

Thanks

For the wave fronts:

Suppose you were in a helicopter above the beach.
Children on Boogie boards will show you the direction the waves are going - directly into the beach [clever people on surf boards can actually move along a wave front so I didn't want to include them].
When your teacher drew the ray, he was mapping out the path of those childern.
AT the time, you will have been able to see the wave fronts at right angles to that direction. Indeed when we look at the ocean it is much easier to see the wavefronts than it is to see the direction the waves are going - though we know from experience that it is pretty close to 90 degrees to the wave front.

Longitudinal waves are hard

http://groups.physics.northwestern.edu/vpl/waves/wavetypes.html

This applet demonstrates ignore the green "mixture" wave

Watch a spot on the transverse wave - it just goes up and down

Watch a spot on the longitudinal wave, it just goes left and right.

If you do a position-time graph for each point, they will look identical, but the graph of the transverse wave will be telling you how far up or down the point is displaced, while the graph of the longitudinal wave will be telling you how far left or right the point is displaced.

NOTE: if you were able to freeze that applet [I didn't try] you would notice that the crest of a transverse wave occurs where displacement is a maximum.
A compression in the longitudinal wave actually occurs at a point which has zero displacement - the dots to the left have moved right, the dots to the right have moved left resulting in the crowding at the compression.

Related to Wavefronts and Longitudinal Waves Displacement-Time Graph

1. What is a wavefront?

A wavefront is an imaginary surface that represents the points on a wave that are in the same phase. It can be visualized as the crest or trough of a wave moving through space.

2. How does a wavefront differ from a wave?

A wavefront is a two-dimensional representation of a wave, while a wave itself is a three-dimensional disturbance that travels through a medium. The wavefront can be thought of as a snapshot of the wave at a specific moment in time.

3. What is a longitudinal wave displacement-time graph?

A longitudinal wave displacement-time graph is a visual representation of how the displacement of particles in a medium changes over time as a longitudinal wave passes through it. The displacement is measured from the equilibrium position of the particles.

4. How is the amplitude of a longitudinal wave represented on a displacement-time graph?

The amplitude of a longitudinal wave is represented by the height of the displacement-time graph. The greater the amplitude, the higher the displacement of the particles from their equilibrium position.

5. What information can be gathered from a displacement-time graph of a longitudinal wave?

A displacement-time graph can provide information about the wavelength, amplitude, and frequency of a longitudinal wave. It can also show the speed at which the wave is traveling through the medium.