Wave Propagation Homework: Confirm Wave Equation & Obtain Velocity

In summary: The first one (y1) doesn't oscillate, and the second one (y2) oscillates with the same frequency but the amplitude decreases over time. The third one (y3) oscillates with a different frequency, and the amplitude decreases over time. These waves all propagate at a constant speed, and there is no change in their profile. The effects of the -5t in y3, in comparison to y1, are not really understood, but it's probably just a typo.
EmmaK

Homework Statement

Consider
y_1=Asin(5x)exp(-2t)
y_2=Aexp(4ix)exp(-2it)
y_3=Asin(2x-5t)exp(-2t)

(i)which one represents a wave that propagates at constant speed with no change in its profile
(ii)Confirm it satifies the wave equation and obtain the wave velocity
(iii)Comment qualitatively on the behaviour descried by the other 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) i think it's the second one. I took the Re(y) and got Acos(3x-2t) so the amplitude is constant, while the other 2 will decrease in amplitude as exp(-2t) will tend to 0?

(ii)just differeniate it and stick into equation

(iii)They will oscillate with the same frequency but the amplitude will decrease?

Physics news on Phys.org
for (ii) i have just differentiated and subbed it into the wave equation and got v= 0.5i. can you have and imaginary wave speed?

EmmaK said:
for (ii) i have just differentiated and subbed it into the wave equation and got v= 0.5i. can you have and imaginary wave speed?
No, you must have dropped a factor of i somewhere.

Edit: Actually, you probably flipped a sign somewhere since the wave equation tells you what v^2 is.

Last edited:
EmmaK said:
Consider
y_1=Asin(5x)exp(-2t)
y_2=Aexp(4ix)exp(-2it)
y_3=Asin(2x-5t)exp(-2t)

(iii)They will oscillate with the same frequency but the amplitude will decrease?
Do you know what the effect is of the -5t in y3, in comparison to y1?

vela said:
Do you know what the effect is of the -5t in y3, in comparison to y1?
not really. isn't 5 the frequency? actually no.. because that would mean y1 has a frequency of 0...

EmmaK said:
not really. isn't 5 the frequency? actually no.. because that would mean y1 has a frequency of 0...
Actually, you're right. It's the frequency, so the first one doesn't oscillate at all. I'm not sure I'd call it a wave. The exponential factor in y1 and y3, as you mentioned above, just causes the amplitude to decrease over time.

ahhh ok thanks, so which doesn't change its profile. i thought 2 as it would keep repeating, but the actual height would be constantly changing

Oh, I hope you don't mean you're changing your answer to (i). You're right that the answer to (i) is y2.

The reason I asked about -5t was because in your answer to (iii) you said y1 and y3 both oscillated with the same frequency. Y3 oscillates, but y1 doesn't.

is the Re(y2) not A cos(4x-2t) instead of A cos(3x-2t) (posted above) cus how would you get to that answer?

Yes, you're right. I think it was just a typo on Emma's part.

but I am not understanding how this tells u that the wave propagates at constant speed with no change in its profile compared to the other two wave disturbances?

and how can u tell that y1 is a stationary wave whose amplitude is decreasing exponentially with time and that y3 is a traveling wave also decreasing exponentially with time?

What's the difference in how eiωt, e-iωt, e-ωt, and eωt behave? (Assume ω>0.) In particular, what do these functions do as t goes to ±∞?

Related to Wave Propagation Homework: Confirm Wave Equation & Obtain Velocity

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical representation of how waves propagate through a medium. It describes the relationship between the wave's amplitude, wavelength, frequency, and the properties of the medium it is traveling through.

2. How is the wave equation derived?

The wave equation is derived from the principles of Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law, which describe the behavior of forces and how they affect the motion of objects. It also takes into account the conservation of energy and mass.

3. What is the significance of confirming the wave equation?

Confirming the wave equation is essential for validating the mathematical model used to describe wave propagation. It ensures that the equation accurately represents the physical phenomenon and can be used to predict and understand the behavior of waves in different systems.

4. How is velocity obtained from the wave equation?

Velocity can be obtained from the wave equation by solving for the parameter that represents the speed of the wave. This parameter is typically denoted as "c" and is dependent on the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling.

5. What are some real-world applications of wave propagation and the wave equation?

Wave propagation and the wave equation have numerous real-world applications, including the study of seismic waves in geology, the behavior of light and sound waves in physics, and the transmission of signals in communication systems. They are also used in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound and MRI scans.