Wave-particle duality explanation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wave-particle duality in physics and the possibility of a mathematical equation that can explain or connect the two concepts. The speaker also asks for recommendations for further reading on the topic. A link to an FAQ and a paper on the subject are provided.
Frane Sazunic
Hi,

Is there a mathematical equation that for itself can explain, or be deducted from it the wave-particle duality? I mean something that connects that 2 concepts in physics equations?

sorry if my english isn't very good..

PD: If you can recommend me a paper or a book that describes and explains the wave-particle duality I will appreciate it a lot.

Thanks in advance and regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frane Sazunic said:
Hi,

Is there a mathematical equation that for itself can explain, or be deducted from it the wave-particle duality? I mean something that connects that 2 concepts in physics equations?

sorry if my english isn't very good..

PD: If you can recommend me a paper or a book that describes and explains the wave-particle duality I will appreciate it a lot.

Thanks in advance and regards.

Maybe you should start by reading this FAQ and then see if you still want to ask that question:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-light-a-wave-or-a-particle.511178/

Zz.

Also check out the following:
http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/0609163v2.pdf

Note, although the above states it, remember by wave they mean wave-function which isn't quite the same thing as a wave.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Wave-particle duality explanation?

What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is a concept in quantum mechanics that states that all particles, including light and matter, have both wave-like and particle-like properties.

How does wave-particle duality explain the behavior of particles?

Wave-particle duality explains that particles can exhibit both wave-like properties, such as interference and diffraction, and particle-like properties, such as having a definite position and momentum.

Who first proposed the idea of wave-particle duality?

The concept of wave-particle duality was first proposed by physicist Louis de Broglie in 1924, based on his research on the behavior of electrons.

What experiments support the concept of wave-particle duality?

The double-slit experiment, where particles exhibit wave-like behavior by creating an interference pattern, and the photoelectric effect, where light behaves like a stream of particles called photons, both support the concept of wave-particle duality.

How does wave-particle duality relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, formulated by Werner Heisenberg, states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is because particles have both wave-like and particle-like properties, and attempting to measure one property will affect the other. This is a fundamental aspect of wave-particle duality.