Wave particle duality as a research project

In summary: I was thinking about doing my project as a kind of time line i.e starting off with Newton thinking it as waves, then einstein with the photoelectric effect ect.That sounds like a great idea! You should definitely include the superstring theory in your project.
alex_boothby
Would this be a good idea for a research project, i.e as it has controversey in it, photoelectric effect verses Youngs double slit.

im doing A-level, and this is a piece of coursework.

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
what sort of things will you be looking at, how will you compare, how will you conduct your research etc. What is you assignment?

Maybe you could somehow prove that the duality is the result of vibrations ocurring in higher dimensional space. If you can do that then you would truly have an awesome project.

mepcotterell said:
Maybe you could somehow prove that the duality is the result of vibrations ocurring in higher dimensional space.
Slightly beyond the scope of an A-Level syllabus don't you think?:rolleyes:

alex_boothby said:
Would this be a good idea for a research project, i.e as it has controversey in it, photoelectric effect verses Youngs double slit.
Yes, I think it's a fine topic. Be sure to cover the part where electrons create an interference pattern when they pass through a double slit, even when they are fired through one at a time... Reality can be very strange sometimes.

thanks guys, well all we've been asked to do is research somehting. Its not a practical experiment, we've just gota use books interweb ect to find out about something.

Any of you guys got any other goos ideas??

alex_boothby said:
thanks guys, well all we've been asked to do is research somehting. Its not a practical experiment, we've just gota use books interweb ect to find out about something.

Any of you guys got any other goos ideas??
Well, the solar neutrino controversy was pretty cool, and just got resolved recently. There was a pretty good Nova episode on it a few months back. The original calculations for the amount of neutrino flux that we should expect coming from our sun did not agree with the first few (big) experiments in neutrino detectors. This caused all kinds of discomfort and controversy, through many years and multiple (bigger and bigger and deeper underground, etc.) detector designs. Finally some clues led to the explanation -- neutrino oscillation. Very cool stuff. You should be able to find good info by googling solar neutrino flux controversy something something.

Here's the link to the Nova episode "The Ghost Particle". I still remember way back in my high school and college days (late '70s), reading about the low number of solar neutrinos being caught in the detectors, and the worry about "how the heck could our theory about the sun's nuclear reactions be so wrong?" Way cool how it all got figured out!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/neutrino/

Hootenanny said:
Slightly beyond the scope of an A-Level syllabus don't you think?:rolleyes:
Yes, but it would still be cool...

Anyway, as for the Nova episode linked above, it an excellen episode.

Hmmm Solar nutrinos... We have not currently covered that in our sylabus currently! Maybe i should stick to something i already know about!

I was thinking about doing my project as a kind of time line i.e starting off with Newton thinking it as waves, then einstein with the photoelectric effect ect.

would it be suitable to whack in the superstring theory just to throw it all away at the end lol??!

Related to Wave particle duality as a research project

1. What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the dual nature of particles. It suggests that particles, such as electrons and photons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior depending on how they are observed.

2. How did the concept of wave-particle duality come about?

The concept of wave-particle duality was first proposed by physicists in the early 20th century, including Albert Einstein and Louis de Broglie. It emerged as a way to explain the behavior of subatomic particles, which seemed to behave like waves in some experiments and like particles in others.

3. What are the implications of wave-particle duality in research?

The concept of wave-particle duality has had a significant impact on the field of physics and has led to groundbreaking discoveries, such as the development of quantum mechanics and the understanding of phenomena like the photoelectric effect. It has also opened up new avenues for research in areas such as quantum computing and quantum entanglement.

4. How is wave-particle duality studied in research?

Scientists study wave-particle duality through various experiments, including the double-slit experiment and the photoelectric effect. They also use mathematical models and theories, such as the Schrödinger equation, to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. What are the current challenges in studying wave-particle duality?

While wave-particle duality has been well-established in theory, there are still challenges in fully understanding and describing it. One major challenge is the reconciliation of wave-particle duality with Einstein's theory of relativity. Additionally, there is ongoing research to better understand the nature of particles and their behavior in different conditions.