Wave Packets Uncertainty Principle - Wave Packets

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the approximate duration of the shortest pulse that can be transmitted over a phone line with a range of frequencies of 5,431 Hz. The solution is derived using the uncertainty principle and the formula \Delta\nu\Deltat ~ 1, resulting in an approximate duration of 0.1841 ms with 4 significant figures. Another method is also mentioned, which involves finding the uncertainty in momentum and energy and using the formula \DeltaE\Deltat = h to calculate the duration. Both methods give the same result.
curto
Uncertainty Principle - Wave Packets

Homework Statement

If a phone line is capable of transmitting a range of frequencies delta(f) = 5,431 Hz, what is the approximate duration of the shortest pulse that can be transmitted over the line? Give your answer in millseconds to 4 significant figures and take delta(E)*delta(t) ~ h.

Homework Equations

we have:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]E[tex]\Delta[/tex]t = h
[tex]\Delta[/tex]E = v[tex]\Delta[/tex]p
p = h/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

so using ^^^ we have:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]p = h[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\nu[/tex]/c

correct?

The Attempt at a Solution

using:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]p = h[tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\nu[/tex]/c

i find the uncertainty in p to be ~1.2E-38
then using:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]E = v[tex]\Delta[/tex]p where v = c (electron flow travels at the speed of light, correct?)

then using my value of the uncertainty of E to be ~3.6E-30 i used:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]E[tex]\Delta[/tex]t = h

to find my uncertainty in t to be ~0.1841 ms (4 sig. figures)

can anyone find any problems in my working? i don't know the actual answer but if my working is correct then its got to be right, yeah?

another way to do this (easier way that i only just found out about) is by using [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\nu[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]t ~ 1

since we are given [tex]\Delta[/tex][tex]\nu[/tex] in the question i just plugged that number in and got out 0.1841 ms (4 sig. figures) in one go

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
!idk if this is the correct way to do it but it seems to work and its simpler than what i did above. any thoughts?

Related to Wave Packets Uncertainty Principle - Wave Packets

1. What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a localized group of waves that behaves as a single entity, rather than individual waves. It is often used to describe the behavior of quantum particles.

2. What is the Uncertainty Principle?

The Uncertainty Principle, also known as Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a quantum particle at the same time. This means that the more precise the position of a particle is known, the less precise its momentum can be determined, and vice versa.

3. How does the Wave Packet Uncertainty Principle relate to the Uncertainty Principle?

The Wave Packet Uncertainty Principle is a specific application of the Uncertainty Principle, and it relates to the uncertainty in the position and momentum of a wave packet. It states that the more localized a wave packet is, the more spread out its momentum will be, and vice versa.

4. How is the Wave Packet Uncertainty Principle used in quantum mechanics?

The Wave Packet Uncertainty Principle is used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of quantum particles and their wave-like properties. It helps to explain the limitations in our ability to precisely measure the position and momentum of these particles.

5. Can the Wave Packet Uncertainty Principle be violated?

No, the Wave Packet Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and cannot be violated. It is a result of the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level and has been confirmed through numerous experiments.