Wave Optics: Light in Water & Glass Wedge - Find Thickness/Angle

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a glass wedge submerged in water to illustrate constructive interference with light of a wavelength of 640 nm. The distance between successive bright fringes is given as 6mm. The solution involves finding the change in thickness of the glass between fringes and the angle of the wedge by using the formula 2t = (m+1/2)λ/nfilm, adjusting for the given wavelength in water, and comparing two adjacent fringes.
lha08

Homework Statement

Light of wavelength 640 nm in water illuminates a glass (n = 1.5) wedge submerged in water (n = 1.33). If the distance between successive bright fringes is 6mm.
Find a) the change in thickness of the glass between these fringes
and b) the angle of the wedge

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it's a bright fringe and n=1 to n=1.5 to n=1.33, it's constructive so 2t= (m+1/2)lambda/nfilm. WHen i plug in the values i get t=(m+1/2)(6.40X10^-7 m)/2(2.5) but I'm not sure how i can find m with the distance between the bright fringes (y=6X10^-3 m)...
And for the angle of the wedge i thought that it would be pi since n=1 to n=1.5 to n=1.33.

Physics news on Phys.org
lha08 said:
Since it's a bright fringe and n=1 to n=1.5 to n=1.33,
Note that the wedge is submerged in water. Note also that the wavelength is given in water.

Between adjacent bright fringes, what must be the additional phase difference due to the thickness of the glass? What extra thickness is required to produce that phase difference?

Doc Al said:
Note that the wedge is submerged in water. Note also that the wavelength is given in water.

Between adjacent bright fringes, what must be the additional phase difference due to the thickness of the glass? What extra thickness is required to produce that phase difference?
so n=1.33 to n=1.5 to n=1.33 but my formula doesn't change? But i don't know how to use 6mm to get m...like the phase change formula is =2pi(path difference)/lambda or phase change=2pi(m)...? I'm kind of confused at that point..

lha08 said:
it's constructive so 2t= (m+1/2)lambda/nfilm.
This formula is almost right. That formula applies when the wavelength is given in air. How would you modify it to use the given wavelength in water?

Then compare two adjacent fringes, call them:
t1 at m = n
t2 at m = n + 1

Find the change in thickness.

Related to Wave Optics: Light in Water & Glass Wedge - Find Thickness/Angle

1. What is wave optics?

Wave optics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of light as a wave. It involves the study of how light waves interact with different mediums and how they are affected by various optical elements.

2. How does light behave in water?

In water, light travels at a slower speed than in air. This causes the light waves to bend, or refract, when they pass from air to water. The degree of refraction depends on the angle at which the light enters the water and the refractive index of water.

3. How is the thickness of a glass wedge determined using wave optics?

The thickness of a glass wedge can be determined by measuring the angle of refraction of a light beam passing through it. This angle can then be used in the Snell's law equation to calculate the thickness of the glass wedge.

4. What is the relationship between angle of incidence and angle of refraction in wave optics?

According to Snell's law, the angle of incidence and angle of refraction are inversely proportional to the refractive indices of the two mediums. This means that as the angle of incidence increases, the angle of refraction also increases, and vice versa.

5. How does the refractive index of a medium affect the speed of light?

The refractive index of a medium is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when it passes through that medium. The higher the refractive index, the slower the speed of light in that medium. This is why light travels slower in water and glass than in air, as they have higher refractive indices.