Wave on a string, and the chain rule argh

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving the wave equation using a change of variables and evaluating the second partial derivative with respect to x. The participants discussed using the chain rule as an operator to find the second derivative and factoring out the function on which the differential acts on.
physmurf
So, I am working through the wave equation for a review before my friend and I go off to grad school. It has been a couple of years since we both graduated with our BS in Physics.

So, here is the question:

Suppose I want to solve the wave equation using a change of variables. Let's use [tex]\alpha = x+ct[/tex], and [tex]\beta = x-ct, and\: u = \alpha + \beta[/tex]

The wave equation is
[tex]\frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial t^{2}}=c^{2}\frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial x^{2}}[/tex]

Now, if we take the partial derivative of u with respect to x and applying the chain rule one gets:

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial \alpha}\frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial \beta}\frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x}[/tex]

Now if we evaluate [tex]\frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x}, and \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} [/tex] we get
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial u}{\partial \alpha} + \frac {\partial u}{\partial \beta} [/tex]

So, what and how do I evaluate the second partial differential with respect to x? I get

[tex] \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}} = \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \alpha^{2}}\ \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \beta^{2}}\ \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} [/tex]

Now, I know this isn't quite right. I am supposed to get:
[tex] \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}} = \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \alpha^{2}}\ \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \alpha \partial \beta}}\ \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \beta \partial \alpha}}\ \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x} +\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial \beta^{2}}\ \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} [/tex]

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
just think about what d/dx is from your first chain rule equation (factor out the u on which the differential acts on). then use this to find the second derivative and u'll get the mixed terms.

When you are going for the second derivative, apply the operator:

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial \alpha}{\partial x} \frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} + \frac{\partial \beta}{\partial x} \frac {\partial }{\partial \beta}
[/tex]

to [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}[/tex].

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. That works. I just didn't think to look at it that way and treat the chain rule as an operator.

Related to Wave on a string, and the chain rule argh

1. What is a wave on a string?

A wave on a string is a type of mechanical wave that travels along a string or rope. It is created by a disturbance at one end of the string, and this disturbance travels along the string, carrying energy with it.

2. How is the speed of a wave on a string determined?

The speed of a wave on a string is determined by the tension and mass per unit length of the string. The higher the tension and lower the mass per unit length, the faster the wave will travel.

3. What is the chain rule in relation to waves on a string?

The chain rule is a mathematical concept used to find the derivative of a function that is composed of two or more functions. In the case of waves on a string, it is used to find the derivative of the wave function with respect to time.

4. How does the chain rule help us understand waves on a string?

The chain rule allows us to break down the complex wave function into simpler functions, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the wave. It also helps us to calculate the rate of change of the wave over time.

5. Can the chain rule be applied to other types of waves?

Yes, the chain rule is a fundamental concept in calculus and can be applied to any function that is composed of two or more functions. This includes other types of waves such as electromagnetic waves and sound waves.