Wave Interference Angle Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the angles at which nodal lines in an interference pattern produced by two point sources are far from the sources. The relevant equation is dsinθ = (n-1/2)λ, where d is the distance between the sources, θ is the angle, n is the number of nodal lines, and λ is the wavelength. The conversation also mentions drawing crest circles and interference lines to determine the number of lines, which is 4 times the number of wavelengths of separation. The process involves solving for the angle using the inverse sine function and repeating until a whole number is reached.
wilson_chem90

Homework Statement

A two-point source operates at a frequency of 1.0 Hz to produce an interference pattern in a ripple tank. The sources are 2.5 cm apart and the wavelength of the waves is 1.2 cm.

Calculate the angles at which the nodal lines in the pattern are far from the sources. (Assume the angles are measured from the central line of the pattern).

Relevant equations:
dsinO = (n-1/2)(wavelength)

O = angle theta

The Attempt at a Solution

my problem is that i can't figure out how many nodal lines there are in order to do the question. I know once i rearrange the equation i can find the angle, by the way i rearranged it to be O = sin inverse [(n-1/2)(wavelength)/d}.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just go on n = 1, 2, 3, ... until your calculator blows up!
(that is, until you get a sine value greater than 1).
You must have missed drawing all those crest circles and interference lines in high school. You can actually see a pattern and get a formula for the number of lines. I think it is 4 times the number of wavelengths of separation, counting both destructive and constructive lines.

Sorry, I'm still not following unfortunately..

dsin A = (n-1/2)(wavelength)
sin A = (n-1/2)(wavelength)/d
A = inverse sin[(n-1/2)(wavelength)/d]
When n = 1, A = invSin(1/2*1.2/2.5) = invSin(0.24) = 13.9 degrees
When n = 2, ...

ohh okay i thought that's what you meant. So i honestly just keep doing that until i get to a whole number?

Yes, keep going. You'll know when to stop.

Related to Wave Interference Angle Calculation

1. What is wave interference?

Wave interference is the phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves meet and the resulting wave is a combination of the individual waves. This can result in constructive interference, where the amplitude of the resulting wave is increased, or destructive interference, where the amplitude is decreased.

2. What causes wave interference?

Wave interference is caused by the superposition of two or more waves. This means that the waves are overlapping and their amplitudes are being added together. The resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves.

3. What are the types of wave interference?

There are two types of wave interference: constructive interference and destructive interference. In constructive interference, the waves are in phase and the resulting wave has a higher amplitude. In destructive interference, the waves are out of phase and the resulting wave has a lower amplitude.

4. How does wave interference affect the energy of the waves?

Wave interference can affect the energy of the waves by either increasing or decreasing the amplitude of the resulting wave. In constructive interference, the amplitude is increased, which means there is more energy in the resulting wave. In destructive interference, the amplitude is decreased, resulting in less energy in the resulting wave.

5. What are some real-life examples of wave interference?

One common example of wave interference is when you throw two pebbles into a pond and the resulting waves interfere with each other. Another example is the rainbow effect seen in oil spills, where the interference of light waves creates a colorful pattern. Other examples include sound waves from multiple speakers and radio waves from different radio stations interfering with each other.