Wave Functions: Understanding Moving Particles

In summary: And then, why do we use as the wave function\Psi=e^{-i(kx-wt)} of a "FREE particle" while arriving at the schrodinger's time dependent formula. The assumption itself is wrong since this is not physically realizable(unnormalizable) wave function of a particle ?
manofphysics
We know, a particle may be represented by a wave PACKET which has a group velocity.
But most of the time, we are concerned with the wave FUNCTION of a moving particle.
In the de broglie hypothesis, it is said that a wave equation y=e^i(kx-wt), CANNOT be associated with a moving particle as the phase velocity comes out greater than that of light.
But , in *deriving* / or arriving at the schroedinger's eqn, we assume a wave function of a free particle as the gen. wave traveling wave eqn.(of course, we assume it to be complex)
I don't know, I am getting confused between the relationship between the wave packet of a particle and it's wave function.

Physics news on Phys.org
manofphysics said:
We know, a particle may be represented by a wave PACKET which has a group velocity.
But most of the time, we are concerned with the wave FUNCTION of a moving particle.
In the de broglie hypothesis, it is said that a wave equation y=e^i(kx-wt), CANNOT be associated with a moving particle as the phase velocity comes out greater than that of light.
But , in *deriving* / or arriving at the schroedinger's eqn, we assume a wave function of a free particle as the gen. wave traveling wave eqn.(of course, we assume it to be complex)
I don't know, I am getting confused between the relationship between the wave packet of a particle and it's wave function.

A wave packet is a wave function. we just say "packet" so that you remember it is made up of a linear combination of different free particle solutions.

E.g., If the free particle hamiltonian is given by
[tex]
H=(-1/(2m))\frac{d^2}{dx^2}
[/tex]
Then, we have stationary solutions of the form [itex]e^{ikx-iwt}[/itex] for any k, as long as w=k^2/(2m). But these are unphysical (unnormalizable) solutions and can not represent the wave function of a real particle.

On the other hand a linear combination of these plane wave can be normalized and has the form:
[tex]
\Psi(x,t)=\sum_{k}a_k e^{ikx-iw_kt}\;.
[/tex]

Which you can call a "wave packet" or a "wave function".

The approximation of quantum mechanics in which particles wave-functions can be treated as wave packets (also caleed quasi-particles) is called the semi-classical approximation. The group velocity corresponds to the particle concept of velocity, and the phase velocity corresponds to the particle concept of momentum. Just like the energy and momentum of classical particles are constrained by the equation E2 - p2 = m2, the angular frequency and wave numbers of these particle-like wave packets satisfy the relation

[tex] \omega^2 - k^2 = \frac{m^2}{\hbar^2} [/tex]

(called a dispersion relation). This prevents the wave packets from having a group velocity greater than light, just like E2 - p2 = m2 prevents ordinary particles from having a velocity greater than light. There are hypothetical particles called tachyons, whose dispersion relation is

[tex] \omega^2 - k^2 = -\frac{m^2}{\hbar^2} [/tex]

and which have a group velocity which exceeds c.

Last edited:
I'd like to ask a question here.
1)I have understood that a "packet" localises the particle. It is a superposition of waves of different wave lengths. But De broglie hypothesis says that a moving particle has with it associated a single wave length h/mv. How is this possible?
And then how do you explain the successful interpretation of this "single wavelength=h/mv"concept in the Davisson Germer experiment
2)And then, why do we use as the wave function[tex]\Psi=e^{-i(kx-wt)} [/tex] of a "FREE particle" while arriving at the schrodinger's time dependent formula. The assumption itself is wrong since this is not physically realizable(unnormalizable) wave function of a particle ?

Last edited:
manofphysics said:
I'd like to ask a question here.
1)I have understood that a "packet" localises the particle. It is a superposition of waves of different wave lengths. But De broglie hypothesis says that a moving particle has with it associated a single wave length h/mv. How is this possible?

In general, quantum particles do not have a definite energy and momentum, like classical particles do. They will be in a superposition of such states (with definite E and P). These are the states that the de Broglie's formula talks about. These states are plane-wave wave functions, characterized by their a definite wave number and an angular frequency.

Related to Wave Functions: Understanding Moving Particles

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a particle. It represents the probability amplitude of finding the particle in a particular location or state.

2. How is a wave function related to the movement of particles?

A wave function describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular location or state, which is directly related to the particle's movement. As the wave function evolves over time, it provides information about the particle's position and momentum.

3. What is the Schrödinger equation and how does it relate to wave functions?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function evolves over time. It relates the energy of a system to its wave function and helps us understand the behavior of particles.

4. Can a particle be in more than one state at the same time?

According to quantum mechanics, a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously, which is known as superposition. This is represented by the wave function, which assigns different probabilities to each possible state.

5. What is the significance of the collapse of the wave function?

The collapse of the wave function refers to the moment when the particle's state is actually observed or measured, causing the wave function to “collapse” into a single state. This concept is essential to understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.