Wave Functions in a Potential Well with infinite high walls

In summary, the task is to determine the coefficients a1(t) and a2(t) for a given time-dependent wave function ψ(x,t) using the Schroedinger Equation and integrals. The first step is to insert ψ into the Schroedinger Equation and manipulate it to get the left-hand side in terms of known values. Then, get rid of ψ and solve for a1(t) and a2(t) by considering integrals of the form ∫∞−∞dxϕm(x)... with m=1, 2. This will result in simple differential equations that can be solved with the given boundary conditions.
Lunar_Lander

Homework Statement

Consider a potential well with infinite high walls, i.e. [itex]V(x)=0[/itex] for [itex]-L/2\leq x \leq +L/2[/itex] and [itex]V(x)=\infty[/itex] at any other [itex]x[/itex].

Consider this problem (the first task was to solve the stationary Schroedinger equation, to get the Energies and Wave Functions, especially for [itex]n=1[/itex] and [itex]n=1[/itex], which gave [itex]\varphi_1=\sqrt{2/L}\cos(\pi/L\cdot x)[/itex] and [itex]\varphi_2=\sqrt{2/L}\sin(2\pi/L\cdot x)[/itex]) for the time-dependent Schroedinger Equation. At the time t=0, the wave function is given as [itex]\psi(x,0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\varphi_1(x)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\varphi_2(x)[/itex].

The further development of [itex]\psi(x,t)[/itex] in time can be given as [itex]\psi(x,t)=a_1(t)\varphi_1(x)+a_2(t)\varphi_2(x)[/itex]. Determine the coefficients [itex]a_1(t), a_2(t)[/itex].

For this, insert [itex]\psi(x,t)[/itex] into the time dependent Schroedinger Equation and consider integrals of the form [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{infty}dx \varphi_m(x)...[/itex] with m=1, 2. From that you will obtain a simple differential equation for each a1and a2, which you can solve easily with the boundary conditions given for t=0.

Homework Equations

Schroedinger Equations, other equations given above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have first tried to follow the instructions and tried to insert the ψ into the Schroedinger Equation, which looked like this:

[itex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(a_1(t) \frac{d^2}{dx^2}\varphi_1(x)+a_2(t) \frac{d^2}{dx^2} \varphi_2(x))=i\hbar(a_1'(t)\varphi_1(x)+a_2'(t) \varphi_2(x))[/itex]

But I have to admit that I do not know how to go on from there. How can I get those integrals that are mentioned in the problem? And how do I get the differential equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you should get the left-hand side in terms of things you know (i.e. the energy values and [itex]\varphi[/itex]).

This will give you an equation involving [itex]\varphi[/itex], a, a'. From here, you want to get rid of the [itex]\varphi[/itex], because you want an equation with just a and a'. Think of a way you could do this.

Related to Wave Functions in a Potential Well with infinite high walls

What is a potential well with infinite high walls?

A potential well with infinite high walls is a theoretical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe a system where a particle is confined within a certain region by infinitely high potential barriers. This creates a well-like shape for the particle's potential energy, where it can only exist within a certain range of positions.

What are wave functions in a potential well with infinite high walls?

Wave functions in a potential well with infinite high walls are mathematical representations of a particle's probability of existing at different positions within the well. They are solutions to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles in a given potential energy landscape.

How are wave functions affected by infinite high walls in a potential well?

Infinite high walls in a potential well affect the wave functions by limiting the particle's range of motion. The wave function must go to zero at the boundaries of the well, representing the particle's inability to exist outside of the well. This results in a quantization of the particle's energy levels within the well.

What is the significance of wave functions in a potential well with infinite high walls?

Wave functions in a potential well with infinite high walls play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum particles in confined spaces. They provide information about the particle's energy levels, probabilities of existing at different positions, and the effects of the potential barriers on the particle's behavior.

Can wave functions in a potential well with infinite high walls be applied to real-world systems?

While the concept of a potential well with infinite high walls is a theoretical construct, the principles of wave functions and quantization can be applied to real-world systems. For example, electrons in atoms can be described using similar concepts, although the potential well is not infinitely high in this case.