Wave function, units in the argument

In summary, the wave function describes the probability of finding an electron at a certain point in space. The minus sign in front of the argument, ct, means that if we add one distance unit (i.e. one meter) to the argument, we have to subtract one time unit from it – the new time unit of course, so that's the time that light needs to travel one meter – in order to get the same value for f.
Physou
I will be very grateful if someone could explain to me the following, in the most simple terms, f being a wave function :

" ...f = f(x–ct). Let me explain the minus sign and the c in the argument.
Time and space are interchangeable in the argument, provided we measure time in the ‘right’ units, and so that’s why we multiply the time in seconds with c, so the new unit of time becomes the time that light needs to travel a distance of one meter. That also explains the minus sign in front of ct: if we add one distance unit (i.e. one meter) to the argument, we have to subtract one time unit from it – the new time unit of course, so that’s the time that light needs to travel one meter – in order to get the same value for f."

Physics news on Phys.org
Starting from the beginning, where is the first place that you get "stuck", and why?

It will help people in giving you well-targeted answers, if you can be as specific as possible about what your difficulties are.

I guess I am stuck with the arithmetic : if I multiply time in sec. with speed c which is meters over second , how arithmetically do I get a unit of time corresponding to a 1 meter distance ?

I don't understand : ".. we multiply the time in seconds with c, so the new unit of time becomes the time that light needs to travel a distance of one meter." thank you if you can rephrase this for me !

Time and space are not interchangeable, all SR is is some transformations between so called inertial frames.

I think you first need to see a proper derivation of the transformations:
http://www2.physics.umd.edu/~yakovenk/teaching/Lorentz.pdf

We sometimes like to write our equations in forms applicable to all inertial frames. In that case sometimes people get loose and say distances are like c times time because in equation 29 above is invariant under such an interpretation.

Its like you have a rod too big for a door so you rotate it to fit through. The length of the rod hasn't changed - just its x and y coordinates. Same with equation 29 if you are being a bit loose in your thinking - thinking of ct as a distance makes the equation seem more sensible. Its just like the Pythagoras theorem of geometry but you have a minus sign. This is given the fancy name of hyperbolic rotation.

Thanks
Bill

:smile::smile::smile:

Related to Wave function, units in the argument

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle or system. It describes the probability of finding the particle in a specific position or state.

2. What are the units used in the argument of a wave function?

The units used in the argument of a wave function depend on the specific physical quantity being described. For example, if the wave function is describing the position of a particle, the units would be in meters. If it is describing the energy of a particle, the units would be in joules.

3. How is the argument of a wave function related to the physical quantity being described?

The argument of a wave function is directly related to the physical quantity being described. For example, if the wave function is describing the position of a particle, the argument would be the position variable, such as x, y, or z. If it is describing the energy of a particle, the argument would be the energy variable, such as E or H.

4. Can the units in the argument of a wave function be converted?

Yes, the units in the argument of a wave function can be converted using appropriate conversion factors. This is necessary in situations where different units are used to describe the same physical quantity.

5. How does the wave function change when the units in the argument are converted?

The wave function remains the same when the units in the argument are converted. However, the numerical value of the wave function may change due to the conversion of units. The physical quantity being described by the wave function remains unchanged.