Wave equation with Neumann BDC

In summary, the Neumann problem for the wave equation on the half line 0<x<infinity can be solved using the d'Alembert equation, which states that the solution can be expressed as the sum of two functions representing forward and backward-moving waves. The functions can be determined by using even extensions of the initial conditions, which will satisfy the boundary conditions at x=0. The most general solution can then be written as U(x,t) = F(x-ct) + G(x+ct) = \frac{1}{2}[\phi_{even}(x-ct) + \phi_{even}(x+ct)] + \frac{1}{2c}[\psi_{even}(x-ct) -
BustedBreaks
The problem statement is:

Solve the Neumann problem for the wave equation on the half line 0<x<infinity.

Here is what I have

[tex]U_{tt}=c^{2}U_{xx}[/tex]
Initial conditions
[tex]U(x,0)=\phi(x)[/tex]
[tex]U_{t}(x,0)=\psi(x)[/tex]
Neumann BC
[tex]U_{x}(0,t)=0[/tex]

So I extend [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] and [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] evenly and get:

[tex]\phi_{even}(x)={^{\phi(x) for x\geq 0}_{\phi(-x) for x\leq 0}[/tex]
[tex]\psi_{even}(x)={^{\psi(x) for x\geq 0}_{\psi(-x) for x\leq 0}[/tex]

I'm not sure what to do from here. I know the d'Alembert equation, but just plugging in phi even and psi even doesn't make much sense to me as the solution seems too general.

I'm also not too comfortable with the meaning behind the boundary conditions, so if you can dumb down your answers, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interest in solving the Neumann problem for the wave equation on the half line. It seems like you have a good understanding of the initial conditions and boundary conditions for this problem. However, I can see that you are struggling with how to proceed with finding the solution. Let me try to break it down for you in simpler terms.

The d'Alembert equation you mentioned is indeed the key to solving this problem. It states that the solution to the wave equation can be expressed as the sum of two functions, one representing a forward-moving wave and the other representing a backward-moving wave. These functions can be written as U(x,t) = F(x-ct) + G(x+ct), where F and G are arbitrary functions that satisfy the initial conditions and boundary conditions.

Now, in order to apply this equation to the Neumann problem, we need to find appropriate expressions for the functions F and G. This is where your even extensions of the initial conditions come in. By extending the functions evenly, we are essentially creating a continuous function that satisfies the boundary conditions at x=0. This is because the derivative of an even function is always symmetric about the y-axis, and thus will be equal to 0 at x=0.

So, using the even extensions of \phi(x) and \psi(x), we can write the solution as:

U(x,t) = F(x-ct) + G(x+ct) = \frac{1}{2}[\phi_{even}(x-ct) + \phi_{even}(x+ct)] + \frac{1}{2c}[\psi_{even}(x-ct) - \psi_{even}(x+ct)]

This is the most general solution to the Neumann problem on the half line. You can further simplify it by choosing specific forms for F and G, depending on the initial conditions given. I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

Related to Wave equation with Neumann BDC

1. What is the Wave Equation with Neumann BDC?

The Wave Equation with Neumann BDC (boundary condition) is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of waves in a bounded region. It takes into account the boundary conditions, specifically the Neumann boundary condition which specifies the derivative of the wave at the boundary.

2. What is the significance of the Neumann boundary condition in the Wave Equation?

The Neumann boundary condition is important because it allows us to specify the behavior of the wave at the boundary. It tells us how the wave changes as it reaches the boundary, rather than prescribing a value for the wave itself at the boundary.

3. How is the Wave Equation with Neumann BDC solved?

The Wave Equation with Neumann BDC can be solved using various methods such as the method of separation of variables, the method of characteristics, or numerical methods like finite difference or finite element methods.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Wave Equation with Neumann BDC?

The Wave Equation with Neumann BDC has various applications in physics and engineering, such as in acoustics, electromagnetics, and structural mechanics. It is commonly used to model the behavior of waves in bounded systems, such as sound waves in a room or electromagnetic waves in a waveguide.

5. How does the Neumann boundary condition affect the solution of the Wave Equation?

The Neumann boundary condition can affect the solution of the Wave Equation by introducing boundary effects or reflections. It can also affect the stability and accuracy of numerical solutions, as the choice of boundary conditions can affect the behavior of the solution at the boundaries.