Wave Eqn: Show v(x,t)=u(x,t)-ue(x) Satisfies Wave Eqn

In summary, to solve for u(x,t) in the wave equation on an equivalent (same boundary conditions) unloaded string, you need toDifferentiate your definition of v twice with respect to each variable, and then use the superposition theorem to show that v(x,t) is a solution.
tuan43
how do i show that v(x,t)=u(x,t)-ue(x) satisfies the wave equation? =(

i get that ue(x)=gx2/2c2 + ax + b where a and x are just constants but how does this satisfy the wave equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you clarify your question? I don't understand what ue(x) actually is in terms of the function u(x,t)? Is u(x,t) an arbitrary function, or one that itself satisfies the wave equation? Perhaps I'm missing something obvious. :)

Generally to show that a function satisfies a DE, you'll need to show that its derivatives actually have the relationship in question. So I'd start by differentiating your definition of v twice with respect to each variable.

thanks for taking a look. still stumped. Ue(x) is the sagged equilibrium position ( when Q(x,t)=-g and the boundary conditions are u(0)=0 and u(L)=0 or fixed boundary/ends of the string). i hope that clarifies it a bit?

tuan43 said:
thanks for taking a look. still stumped. Ue(x) is the sagged equilibrium position ( when Q(x,t)=-g and the boundary conditions are u(0)=0 and u(L)=0 or fixed boundary/ends of the string). i hope that clarifies it a bit?

Ah, I see. :) So you've got a string with a uniform loading (which you've called Q) along the x-direction, sagging in the shape of a parabola because of that (note that in reality, if this loading were due to the weight of the string, the equilibrium shape would be a catenary, not a parabola).

And you're trying to prove that if u(x,t) is a solution to the wave equation on an equivalent (same boundary conditions) unloaded string, then:

[tex]u(x,t) - u_e(x)[/tex]

Will be a solution to the wave equation on the loaded string.

Did I understand the question correctly?

If so, then look up the superposition theorem for linear differential equations (such as the wave equation). This states that the sum of two solutions to a DE will also be a solution to the DE - So in this case, if both ue(x) and u(x,t) are solutions then it immediately follows that v(x,t) is a solution.

If you also need to show that it's the solution that you're looking for, then you'll need to check it satisfies the appropriate boundary/initial conditions.

tuan43 said:

Are we supposed to be psychic? Why don't you give us the equation you are trying to satisfy? How does Q enter into it?

wow you totally got the question. thanks alot. i see it clearly now :)

LCKurtz: Q(x,t) is just force acting on the string, so gravity in most cases. i got the answer now, sorry for not being more precise.

Related to Wave Eqn: Show v(x,t)=u(x,t)-ue(x) Satisfies Wave Eqn

1. What is the wave equation and how is it used in science?

The wave equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of waves, such as light, sound, and water waves. It is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics, to model and analyze wave phenomena.

2. How does v(x,t) = u(x,t) - ue(x) satisfy the wave equation?

In the wave equation, v(x,t) represents the displacement of a wave at a certain position (x) and time (t), while u(x,t) represents the initial displacement and ue(x) represents the equilibrium displacement. By subtracting the equilibrium displacement from the initial displacement, v(x,t) satisfies the wave equation, which states that the second derivative of v(x,t) with respect to both x and t is equal to the square of the wave's speed.

3. What is the significance of the wave equation in understanding wave behavior?

The wave equation allows scientists to predict and analyze the behavior of waves, such as their speed, amplitude, and wavelength. It is also used to understand the interactions between different types of waves and how they propagate through different mediums, providing insights into various natural phenomena and technological applications.

4. Can the wave equation be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, the wave equation can be applied to all types of waves, including electromagnetic waves, sound waves, water waves, and more. This is because it is a general equation that describes the fundamental principles of wave behavior, which can be applied to various types of waves in different contexts.

5. Are there any limitations to the wave equation?

While the wave equation is a powerful tool for understanding wave behavior, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the medium through which the wave travels is uniform and continuous, and it does not account for certain factors like damping or dispersion. Additionally, it cannot accurately predict the behavior of nonlinear or complex waves.