Wave Attenuation: Struggling in Course? Resources to Help

In summary, the conversation discusses a frustrating experience with an incompetent lecturer in a waves and diffraction course. The lecturer spent a lecture on attenuation without explaining its relevance or providing clear explanations. The speaker has attempted to find additional materials to understand the concept better but has been unsuccessful. The attached slide covers the topic of damping and mentions attenuation as the loss of amplitude due to damping. The speaker is looking for further resources on this topic.
Darren93
For my waves and diffraction course we have had a completely incompetent lecturer. We were looking at standing waves and then all of a sudden he spent a lecture looking at attenuation, not mentioning where it would apply or explaining it particularly well. I have tried to find a textbook to explain what is going on but have been fairly unsuccessful. Can anyone point me in the right direction for materials to explain what is going on. I have hopefully attached the single slide he used in the lecture.

Attachments

• delete.png
    delete.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 426
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Wave Attenuation: Struggling in Course? Resources to Help

What is wave attenuation?

Wave attenuation refers to the gradual decrease in the amplitude or energy of a wave as it travels through a medium.

Why do students struggle in courses on wave attenuation?

Students may struggle in courses on wave attenuation because it involves complex mathematical concepts and requires a strong understanding of physics principles.

What resources are available to help students with wave attenuation?

There are various resources available to help students with wave attenuation, including textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from a tutor or professor.

What are some common areas of difficulty in understanding wave attenuation?

Some common areas of difficulty in understanding wave attenuation may include understanding the mathematical equations involved, visualizing how waves behave in different mediums, and applying the principles to real-world scenarios.

How can I improve my understanding of wave attenuation?

To improve your understanding of wave attenuation, it is important to practice solving problems and to seek help when needed. It may also be helpful to review basic physics concepts related to waves and to seek out visual aids or demonstrations to better understand the concepts.