Water / Steam evaporation calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of building a simulation for steam generation, specifically how to calculate pressure in a closed container with water and steam. The problem is addressed by using differential equations and accessing tables of water and steam properties to find partial derivatives and create piecewise linear approximations. It is mentioned that this process can take about a week to complete.
FloidRose
Hello!

I'm trying to build simulation of steam generation process

My problem is this:

I want to know how to calculate pressure in the following problem-

closed container, V=1 litres
121 C water, 1 g
121 C saturated steam 1.129 g
p = 1 bar

if container valve opens shortly and 0.3 g of steam is led out what is pressure in the container after that?

Could yuo help how to address this problem

I have figured out that part of the water evaporates to steam. And it seems that PV=NRT equation can not be used?

Any help is appreciated

-Floid

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yeah you need to make differential equations and solve it for pressure versus time.

1. write mass balance equations
  2. write volume balance equations
  3. write energy balance equations
The difficult part is that volumes and energies are a function of pressure. You'll need access to tables of water and steam properties, and to find the partial derivates of specifc volume and enthalpy, use those as piecewise linear approximations.

When I did it years ago, it took me about 1 week to get the equations to work.

Related to Water / Steam evaporation calculation

1. How is the rate of water / steam evaporation calculated?

The rate of water / steam evaporation is calculated using the equation: mass of water evaporated / time. This equation takes into account the amount of water evaporated and the time it takes to evaporate.

2. What factors affect the rate of water / steam evaporation?

The rate of water / steam evaporation is affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, air flow, surface area, and pressure. Higher temperatures, lower humidity, increased air flow, larger surface area, and lower pressure can all increase the rate of evaporation.

3. How do you calculate the surface area for water / steam evaporation?

The surface area for water / steam evaporation can be calculated using the equation: length x width x number of sides. For example, if a container has a length of 10 cm, a width of 5 cm, and 4 sides, the surface area would be 10 x 5 x 4 = 200 cm².

4. Can the rate of water / steam evaporation be predicted?

Yes, the rate of water / steam evaporation can be predicted using mathematical models and equations. However, these predictions may not always be accurate due to the complexity of the evaporation process and the many variables that can affect it.

5. How is the heat energy required for water / steam evaporation calculated?

The heat energy required for water / steam evaporation can be calculated using the equation: mass of water evaporated x heat of vaporization. The heat of vaporization is a constant value for a specific substance and can be found in reference tables. This equation gives the total amount of heat energy needed to evaporate a certain amount of water.