Water Slide Mechanical Energy Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a child sliding down a water slide and splashing into the water at the bottom. The task is to find the mechanical energy of the child at the top of the slide, assuming potential energy is zero at water level. The conversation mentions the equations for kinetic energy, work done by gravity, potential energy, and displacement. The attempted solution involves calculating the child's kinetic energy at the top and bottom of the slide, and using the equation Ei = Ef to determine the mechanical energy at the bottom. However, this approach is incorrect as it does not take into account the correct speed of the child at the point where she hits the water. The correct approach is to calculate the potential energy of gravity at
StormPix

Homework Statement

A 58.5 kg child slides down a water slide with a velocity of 1.2 m/sec at the top. At the bottom of the slide, she is moving horizontally, y=1.5 meters above the water. She splashes into the water d=2 meters to the left of the bottom of the slide.
1) Assuming potential energy to be zero at the water level, what is the mechanical energy of the child at the top of the slide?
a) MEo=

b) Find h

Homework Equations

KE = .5*m*v^2
Wg = mgh
PE = Wc
Yf = Yo + Vo*t + .5*g*t^2
ΔKE = ΔPE
Vf = Vo + a*t

The Attempt at a Solution

So, this is what I tried, and it turned out to not be correct. Maybe I made a mistake somewhere and if so would someone be kind enough to point it out/ help me figure out the correct way to solve this. Thank you.

So I started with knowing there was some initial KE:

KEt = .5 * 58.5 * (1.2)^2 = 42.12 J

I knew also that at the bottom there is:

KEb = .5 * 58.5 * v^2 = 29.25 * v^2

I knew from the problem that at the bottom of the slide, the girl is not moving in the Y direction, thus I can assume a standard 2-D kinematic type of problem to solve for V

1.5 = .5 * 9.81 * t^2
t^2 = 3 / 9.81
t = .55 sec

V = 2m / .55sec = 3.64 m/s

I then knew the KE at the bottom when the girl hit the water to be

KE = 29.25(3.64)^2 = 386.78 J

From Ei = Ef I said that the MEo was 386.78 J... which as it turned out, was not correct.

I stopped here because without knowing the MEo I could not get h.

Attachments

• water_slide.jpg
    water_slide.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 653
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, StormPix. Welcome to PF!

Looks like you assumed that the speed of 3.64 m/s is the speed of the child when she hits the water. But, actually that's the speed somewhere else. How much potential energy of gravity is there at the point where the speed is 3.64 m/s? (I get 3.61 m/s rather than 3.64 m/s. I don't know if round off error will be important here.)

Check:
* Definition of "mechanical energy".
* Where do you need to calculate the mechanical energy at?

Related to Water Slide Mechanical Energy Problem

1. What is the concept of mechanical energy in a water slide?

Mechanical energy is the sum of potential and kinetic energy in a system. In a water slide, potential energy is stored at the top of the slide when the rider is stationary. As the rider goes down the slide, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion.

2. How does the height of a water slide affect the mechanical energy of a rider?

The higher the water slide, the more potential energy the rider has at the top. This means that the rider will have a greater amount of kinetic energy as they go down the slide, resulting in a faster and more thrilling ride.

3. What other factors besides height can affect the mechanical energy of a water slide?

The weight of the rider, the angle of the slide, and the amount of friction present can also affect the mechanical energy of a water slide. A heavier rider will have more potential energy at the top, while a steeper slide and less friction will result in a faster ride.

4. How can the mechanical energy of a water slide be calculated?

The mechanical energy of a water slide can be calculated using the equation E = mgh, where E is the total mechanical energy, m is the mass of the rider, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the slide.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the mechanical energy of a water slide?

Understanding the mechanical energy of a water slide can help engineers design safer and more thrilling water slides. It can also be applied to other amusement park rides, such as roller coasters, to ensure the safety and enjoyment of riders. Additionally, understanding mechanical energy can be useful in other fields such as sports and transportation, where energy conversion and conservation are important concepts.