Water Heater issue (NOT Homework)

In summary, homeowner is looking at his brand new hot water setup. He has two 50 gallon tanks with a 4500 watt electric heater in each one. The outside water is fairly constant at 50 degrees F. He is curious how long he can take a 3.5GPM shower. The formula he used to calculate the KW input needed for his shower was KW input=GPH*°Rise*8.33/.98*3412. The thermal efficiency of electric heaters is .98 and for gas heaters is .75. He found out that 1GPM= 60GPH, 3.5GPM is the limit set in the US on max flow allowed in a shower, and that by
everseeker
Hi.
Homeowner here who is looking at his brand new hot water setup...
2 tanks. 50 gallons each, with a 4500 watt electrical heater in each one
Tank 1 output feeds to tank 2 input.
Outside water is fairly constant 50 degrees F
I am curious: how long can I take a 3.5GPM shower? (output 120<x<130)

Looked up the following formula:
KW input = (GPH X °Rise X 8.33) / (Thermal Efficiency X 3412 BTU/KW)
Thermal Eff for electric heaters is .98 For Gas heaters is = .75)

1GPM= 60GPH, shower = 3.5GPM, or 210 GPH
temp in = 50 Desired temp out = 130 Delta = 80
So, mangle the formula a bit...
4500=X*80*8.33/.98*3412
4500=X*666.4/3343.76
4500/X=666.4/3343.76
4500/X=.1993
1/x=.1993/4500
1/x=4.4288E-5
X=22579.412
do not believe... plugging into crosscheck...

22500*80*8.33/.98*3412=...oh, = 4500KW... heh

Restarting from 4500/X=.1993
4.5/X=.1993
1/X=.1993/4.5
1/x=0.044288
x=22.57941
So, 22.6 GPH

and, for tank 2
4500=X*10*8.33/.98*3412
4.500/X=(83.3/3343.76
1/x= 0.0249/4.5
X=180.635
+ the 22 GPH
202GPH
210 = shower
(loss of 8 GPH)
(50 gallons + 22 gallons from first one =72/8=

9 hours. seems nice... too nice.

-------------
Try another way...

For a continuous shower at 3.5 GPM:
X=(210*80*8.33/.98*3412
X=41.8523 KW
or, 41,850 Watts!

ok, so the numbers simply do NOT add up
----------
Got to thinking... the numbers are kinda more complex then I am thinking... as tank 1 feeds tank 2, the temp rise is constant at first, then begins to change , because the draw from tank 1 exceeds 22 GPH
I am envisioning a couple curves... this smacks of calculus, which I have not had in over 20 years... Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump?

You should put up some relevant units, and maybe some of the names of the equations you're using. I look at this and see a mess of information.
I know that you should be using Specific heat of water to raise it to desired temperature,
to get joules used etc,

OK, Condensed a bit...

Hi.
Homeowner here who is looking at his brand new hot water setup...
2 tanks. 50 gallons each, with a 4500 watt electrical heater in each one
Tank 1 output feeds to tank 2 input.
Outside water is fairly constant 50 degrees F
I am curious: how long can I take a 3.5GPM shower? (output 120<x<130)

Found this on the internet:
KW input = (GPH X °Rise X 8.33) / (Thermal Efficiency X 3412 BTU/KW)
Thermal Eff for electric heaters is .98 For Gas heaters is = .75)

----------
Cut out all the attempts I made to get an answer
----------

Thoughts anyone?

You should put up some relevant units, and maybe some of the names of the equations you're using. I look at this and see a mess of information.
I know that you should be using Specific heat of water to raise it to desired temperature,
to get joules used etc,

Well, since this is a real world question, I used real world Units...
BTU= British Thermal Unit (Delve in here if you want to see where all the Joules/Specific heat etc... are hiding)
GPM=Gallons per minute
GPH=gallons per hour
Temp in Degrees F
Power in Watts
3.5GPM = limit set in US on max flow allowed in a shower

The "Formula"s name is
Found on the internet in an article on sizing water heaters... It's used in the trade to calculate the KW input needed for large facilities
If you need a name...
Will calling it "Joe" help?

In the end, I am looking to answer: How long can I take a shower before it gets cold (cold = 99 degrees F)

Last edited:
Well certain formula's only apply in certain situations. In thermodynamics, there are hundreds of equations that apply to only specific situations, like constant pressure, constant volume, etc. So if you're using a thermal equation that has specific conditions, and you're just ignoring them, equation "joe" probably isn't going to work. But then again, this is a homework forum, and this is also a calculus and beyond forum. Your question applies to NONE of these.

Homework starts at home... ;)

It depends on how a tank fills, but i woud start by analysing a single tank under 3.5GPM flow rates (i'm not great with field units by the way)

so assume
- water flows out at tank temp at 3.5GPM
- water flows in at outside temp at 3.5GPM
- energy is supplied to the tank at 0.98*4500W

T(0) = initial tank temperture

by setting up an energy balance, you should be able to determine the tank temp as a function of time T(t)

once you have done it for one, expand the problem to both tanks

you could do this and i think you'll come up with a reasonably simple DE (differential equation), or if you just want an approximate answer, why not just set up a spreadsheet that calculates the tank temp after evry minute say...

as mr tt mentioned, the only real constant you need is specfic heat capacity of water (easy to find) as you already have rate & input power

Related to Water Heater issue (NOT Homework)

1. Why is my water heater not heating up?

There could be several reasons why your water heater is not heating up. Some common causes include a faulty heating element, a broken thermostat, a tripped circuit breaker, or a sediment buildup in the tank. It is best to contact a professional plumber to diagnose and fix the issue.

2. How often should I flush my water heater?

It is recommended to flush your water heater at least once a year to remove any sediment buildup. However, if you have hard water, you may need to flush it more frequently, such as every 6 months. Regular flushing helps maintain the efficiency and lifespan of your water heater.

3. Can I repair my water heater or do I need to replace it?

This depends on the extent of the issue and the age of your water heater. If your water heater is relatively new and the issue is minor, such as a faulty thermostat, it may be repairable. However, if your water heater is older and has multiple issues, it may be more cost-effective to replace it with a newer, more efficient model.

4. What is the ideal temperature for a water heater?

The ideal temperature for a water heater is typically between 120-140 degrees Fahrenheit. This is hot enough for most household tasks while also preventing the risk of scalding. However, some newer models of water heaters have adjustable temperature settings for more precise control.

5. How can I increase the lifespan of my water heater?

Regular maintenance, such as flushing the tank and checking for any leaks or issues, can help prolong the lifespan of your water heater. It is also important to use your water heater properly and not overload it with excessive hot water usage. If you have hard water, consider installing a water softener to reduce mineral buildup. Additionally, replacing an older water heater with a newer, more efficient model can also increase its lifespan.