Water Evaporation (Thermodynamics)

In summary, water evaporation is the process by which liquid water is converted into water vapor through the application of heat. This phase change occurs due to the thermodynamic principles of heat transfer and vapor pressure, in which molecules at the surface of the liquid gain enough energy to escape into the gaseous phase. The rate of evaporation is influenced by factors such as temperature, humidity, and air movement, and it plays a crucial role in the water cycle and global climate. Understanding the thermodynamics of water evaporation is important in various fields, such as meteorology, agriculture, and industrial processes.
roam

Homework Statement

If the air is at100% relative humidity and a water surface is at the same temperature as that of the air above it, do any of the water molecules leave their liquid state to become vapour?

Homework Equations

[itex]r=\frac{e}{e_s}[/itex]

Clausius-Clapeyron equation:

[itex]\frac{de_s}{dT}= \frac{1}{T} \frac{L_v}{V_v-V_w}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

How can I use the Clausius-Clapeyron relation (or any other method) to determine whether the net evaporation is positive or negative?

If I rewrite the equation in terms of saturation vapor pressure, I don't know the values for volumes. So how will I be able to solve it?

There are other versions of this problem where the water surface may be warmer/colder or the relative humidity may be different. So, how can I approach such problems?
I could not see any worked examples anywhere online. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
roam said:

Homework Statement

If the air is at100% relative humidity and a water surface is at the same temperature as that of the air above it, do any of the water molecules leave their liquid state to become vapour?

Homework Equations

[itex]r=\frac{e}{e_s}[/itex]

Clausius-Clapeyron equation:

[itex]\frac{de_s}{dT}= \frac{1}{T} \frac{L_v}{V_v-V_w}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

How can I use the Clausius-Clapeyron relation (or any other method) to determine whether the net evaporation is positive or negative?

If I rewrite the equation in terms of saturation vapor pressure, I don't know the values for volumes. So how will I be able to solve it?

There are other versions of this problem where the water surface may be warmer/colder or the relative humidity may be different. So, how can I approach such problems?
I could not see any worked examples anywhere online. So any help is greatly appreciated.

This question is not related to the Clausius-Clapeyron equation. The water at the surface is in equilibrium with the water vapor in the air, so there is no net flow of water molecules between the liquid water and the air. But molecules are continually leaving the water surface into the air, and molecules are continually leaving the air and entering the liquid surface. It is just that, at equilibrium, the rates of these two molecular flows are exactly equal.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
This question is not related to the Clausius-Clapeyron equation. The water at the surface is in equilibrium with the water vapor in the air, so there is no net flow of water molecules between the liquid water and the air. But molecules are continually leaving the water surface into the air, and molecules are continually leaving the air and entering the liquid surface. It is just that, at equilibrium, the rates of these two molecular flows are exactly equal.

Chet

Thank you very much for the response. So, at 100% relative humidity the net evaporation is positive if water surface is warmer than the air above, and negative if it is colder, otherwise it is zero?

roam said:
Thank you very much for the response. So, at 100% relative humidity the net evaporation is positive if water surface is warmer than the air above, and negative if it is colder, otherwise it is zero?

This question is a little more complicated, and enters into the area of interphase mass transfer. The simple answer is "yes," but, under the conditions you describe, the air temperature and the water vapor pressure in the air will not be uniform in the vicinity of the interface (say on the order of 1 mm from the interface). This will be the mass transfer "boundary layer." Within the BL, the air temperature and the water vapor partial pressure will vary very rapidly, from the bulk value outside the BL to the values at the immediate interface. There may also be a temperature BL on the liquid side of the interface. At the interface itself, the temperatures of the air and water will, of course, be equal, and the relative humidity at the interface will closely approach 100%. The thicknesses of the BLs will depend on the rates of diffusion and forced- and natural convection within the two phases. I know that this may sound like mumbo jumbo, but it captures the basics of how the mass transfer occurs.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
This question is a little more complicated, and enters into the area of interphase mass transfer. The simple answer is "yes," but, under the conditions you describe, the air temperature and the water vapor pressure in the air will not be uniform in the vicinity of the interface (say on the order of 1 mm from the interface). This will be the mass transfer "boundary layer." Within the BL, the air temperature and the water vapor partial pressure will vary very rapidly, from the bulk value outside the BL to the values at the immediate interface. There may also be a temperature BL on the liquid side of the interface. At the interface itself, the temperatures of the air and water will, of course, be equal, and the relative humidity at the interface will closely approach 100%. The thicknesses of the BLs will depend on the rates of diffusion and forced- and natural convection within the two phases. I know that this may sound like mumbo jumbo, but it captures the basics of how the mass transfer occurs.

Chet

I see, thank you very much for the explanation. I have one more question. So, what if the air and water surface are at the same temprature but we have an initial relative humidity of 50% (instead of being 100%)?

roam said:
I see, thank you very much for the explanation. I have one more question. So, what if the air and water surface are at the same temprature but we have an initial relative humidity of 50% (instead of being 100%)?

The relative humidity is defined as the partial pressure of the water vapor in the air divided by the equilibrium vapor pressure (times 100%). If the humidity is 50%, this means that, in the bulk air phase, the water vapor partial pressure will be less than the equilibrium vapor pressure. However, exactly at the interface, the water vapor in the air will be at equilibrium with the liquid water at the interface, and the relative humidity will be 100%. Therefore, there will be a higher water vapor partial pressure in the air at the interface than in the bulk of the air. This will translate into a gradient of water vapor partial pressure (concentration), and a driving force for water vapor to diffuse away from the interface. All this transport will occur within a thin air boundary layer immediately adjacent to the interface. The net result will be a flux of water vapor away from the interface, through the boundary layer, and into the bulk air phase. We call this phenomenon evaporation.

Related to Water Evaporation (Thermodynamics)

1. What is water evaporation?

Water evaporation is the process by which water changes from a liquid state to a gaseous state. This occurs when the molecules of liquid water gain enough energy to break their bonds and become water vapor.

2. What factors affect water evaporation?

The rate of water evaporation is affected by several factors including temperature, humidity, surface area, and air movement. Higher temperatures, lower humidity, larger surface areas, and increased air movement all contribute to a faster rate of evaporation.

3. How does water evaporation relate to thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations. Water evaporation is an example of a physical process that involves a change in energy. When water evaporates, it absorbs energy from its surroundings, causing a decrease in temperature.

4. What is the role of water evaporation in the water cycle?

Water evaporation is an important part of the water cycle, which is the continuous movement of water on, above, and below the Earth's surface. When water evaporates from bodies of water such as oceans, lakes, and rivers, it eventually condenses and falls back to the Earth as precipitation, replenishing the water supply.

5. How is water evaporation used in real-world applications?

Water evaporation has many practical applications, such as in the production of salt from saltwater and the distillation of alcohol. It is also used in cooling systems, as the evaporation of water can remove heat from a surface, and in agriculture, as it helps to regulate the temperature and humidity of crops.