Water bell; got answer but shape's weird?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the smallest bowl to contain water from a water spray head. They used Lagrange multipliers to solve the problem, but the envelope does not look like a parabola. The envelope is obtained by finding the partial derivative with respect to a parameter, and the situation described has a hemispherical head at the level of the water. There is discussion about different types of fixtures and their orientations, and the lack of imagination in visualizing certain scenarios.
unscientific

Homework Statement

This question is about finding the smallest bowl to contain all the water being spurt out of a water spray head.

They used the lagrange multipliers to solve it which I understand, but the the envelope doesn't look like a parabola to me??

Isn't the envelope supposed to be a curve that is parallel to a certain point on every member of a family curve?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even see how it's possible to draw a curve that's tangential to all water-jet curves..

Attachments

• waterbell1.jpg
    waterbell1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 419
  • waterbell2.jpg
    waterbell2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
They did not use Lagrange multipliers. An envelope of a family of curves F(x, y, p) = 0, where p is parameter, is obtained by [itex]\frac {\partial F} {\partial p} = 0[/itex], which is what they do.

Your picture is very strange. You seem to have water coming from a head that is convex downward and raised above the surface of the water. The situation described in the post has a hemispherical (convex upward) head at the level of the surface of the water.

HallsofIvy said:
Your picture is very strange. You seem to have water coming from a head that is convex downward and raised above the surface of the water. The situation described in the post has a hemispherical (convex upward) head at the level of the surface of the water.

LOL i thought it was the bottom hemisphere. That was the first picture that came to my mind when i thought of a tap and a basin (come on, who builts a tap that spurts upwars? :P)

I finally see it, thank you!

I seem to lack the imagination.

unscientific said:
LOL i thought it was the bottom hemisphere. That was the first picture that came to my mind when i thought of a tap and a basin (come on, who builts a tap that spurts upwars? :P)

I finally see it, thank you!

I seem to lack the imagination.

Well, who builds a water feature with a spray head at water level, pointing down?

RGV

Think of it not as a "tap" but as a fountain in an outdoor pool.

(But they are making some very peculiar bathroom fixtures now. I recently had my bathroom remodeled. I looked at some bathroom sinks that are acryic hemispheres sitting on top the counter. I stared at them for a while, shook my head, and walked on.)

Related to Water bell; got answer but shape's weird?

1. What is a water bell?

A water bell is a phenomenon that occurs when water droplets are placed on a surface and then vibrated at a specific frequency. The droplets form a bell-like shape due to the surface tension of the water.

2. What causes the strange shape of a water bell?

The shape of a water bell is caused by the surface tension of the water, which is the force that holds the water molecules together. When the water droplets are vibrated, the surface tension causes them to form a curved shape, similar to a bell.

3. Can the shape of a water bell be changed?

Yes, the shape of a water bell can be changed by altering the frequency of the vibrations. Different frequencies can create different shapes, such as a cone or a mushroom.

4. How is a water bell related to science?

A water bell is related to science because it is a result of scientific principles such as surface tension and vibration. It is often used as a demonstration in physics or chemistry classes to explain these concepts.

5. Is there any practical application for a water bell?

While a water bell may seem like a simple scientific phenomenon, it actually has practical applications in fields such as medicine and engineering. It can be used to study the effects of vibrations on liquids and can also be used to create tiny droplets for drug delivery systems.