Wasn't sure where to put this - Lowpass Filter in Excel

In summary, you need to model a sawtooth wave mathematically, put it through a lowpass filter, and then plot the output.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
Wasn't sure where to put this -- Lowpass Filter in Excel

Ok I need some excel help, I need to model a sawtooth wave mathematically (done) and then I need to put it through a lowpass filter, but I need to do it in excel. My prof expects an excel spreadsheet, and I have no clue how to put it in there. On wolfram I use plot Ʃ[sin(2*n*pi)/(n*pi)] and that works when I take it out 100 or so terms, but excel doesn't like those kinds of functions.

How can I put it in there?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are summing over n right? In excel I would just make one column "n" and number it from 1 to 100 or so. Then the column next too it would be sin(2*n*pi)/(n*p)+"previous cell". Here "n" would be a reference to the cell in the adjacent column and "previous cell" would be the cell above which has the rest of the terms of the sum. Does that seem right?

That seems somewhat right, but I need an x in there. It's actually sum sin(2npix)/npi

When I was learning Fourier Series, what I would occasionally do to verify my answers was to plot the first N series and see if it looked like what I started with.

To accomplish this what I did is along the first Collum I had 1->N
Then along the first row I put -k->k (the period of the function)
Then just filled in the function information

for you it'd look something like =sin(2*$A1*pi()*A$1)/(2*$A1*pi()))

The $A1 being your N term and the A$1 being your x term, set so as you pull the formula they stay in the right column/row.

Then in row N+1 you sum the collum and plot that

Hope that makes sense :D

You haven't specified your lowpass transfer function.

So let's assume it's a 1st order lowpass: 1/(Ts+1) where 1/T = corner radian frequency.

I would write an equivalent finite-difference equation for this function, then pass your triangular wave thru it and get the output. The output can then be plotted by excel's plotting facility.

You need to specify T and you also need to specify the frequency of your triangular input.

Last edited:

Related to Wasn't sure where to put this - Lowpass Filter in Excel

1. What is a lowpass filter in Excel?

A lowpass filter in Excel is a tool that allows you to remove high frequency noise from a signal or data set. It works by only allowing low frequency components of a signal to pass through, while attenuating or removing high frequency components.

2. How do I apply a lowpass filter in Excel?

To apply a lowpass filter in Excel, you can use the built-in function "FILTER" or "SMOOTH" depending on your Excel version. You will need to specify the data range and the cutoff frequency, which determines the maximum frequency that will be allowed to pass through the filter. You can also adjust the filter order or number of filter coefficients to further refine the filtering process.

3. Can I customize the lowpass filter in Excel?

Yes, you can customize the lowpass filter in Excel by adjusting the cutoff frequency, filter order, and other parameters. You can also use different types of filters, such as Butterworth, Chebyshev, or Bessel, depending on your specific needs.

4. What types of data can I use a lowpass filter on in Excel?

A lowpass filter in Excel can be applied to any type of data, as long as it is in a numerical format. This can include time series data, sensor readings, financial data, and more. However, it is important to note that the results of the filtering will depend on the characteristics of the data and the chosen filter parameters.

5. Are there any limitations to using a lowpass filter in Excel?

While a lowpass filter in Excel can be a convenient and effective tool for removing noise from data, it does have some limitations. For example, the filter performance may be affected by the sampling rate of the data, and it may not work well for highly non-linear or non-stationary data. It is important to understand the limitations and choose the appropriate filter for your specific data set.