Was Sidney Poitier one of the greatest actors of all time?

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, Sidney Poitier is remembered as an amazing actor who delivered powerful and commanding performances in films such as "Lillies of the Field" and "In the Heat of the Night". He also starred in uplifting films like "To Sir, with Love" and broke barriers with "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" and "Buck and the Preacher". At the age of 23, he starred in a groundbreaking film set in South Africa. Poitier received an Oscar for his performance in "Lillies of the Field".
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-59907931

An amazing actor. I was impressed in pretty much everything I saw him in, but I remember most fondly his "Lillies of the Field". It was less over the top powerful than his role in "In the Heat of the Night" but it was in its own way an even more commanding performance.

• Sad
Likes fresh_42, PeroK, BillTre and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
I was impressed in pretty much everything I saw him in, but I remember most fondly his "Lillies of the Field". It was less over the top powerful than his role in "In the Heat of the Night" but it was in its own way an even more commanding performance.
And "To Sir, with Love (1967)", which is an uplifting story.

Edit/upate: I just remembered "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" (1967). Sidney Portier starred with Kathryn Hepburn, Spencer Tracy and Hepburn's niece Katharine Houghton. It was way out there for 1967.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guess_Who's_Coming_to_Dinner

Last edited:
Likes phinds and BillTre
phinds said:
I remember most fondly his "Lillies of the Field". It was less over the top powerful than his role in "In the Heat of the Night" but it was in its own way an even more commanding performance.
He got the best actor Oscar for Lillies of the Field(!)

Buck and the Preacher, Shoot to Kill, and They Call Me Mr. Tibbs.

Related to Was Sidney Poitier one of the greatest actors of all time?

1. Was Sidney Poitier the first African-American to win an Academy Award for Best Actor?

Yes, Sidney Poitier was the first African-American to win an Academy Award for Best Actor in 1964 for his role in "Lilies of the Field."

2. What other notable awards did Sidney Poitier receive?

Sidney Poitier was also awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian award in the United States, in 2009 for his contributions to the arts and civil rights movements.

3. How did Sidney Poitier break barriers in Hollywood?

Sidney Poitier was one of the first African-American actors to achieve leading roles in major Hollywood films during a time when segregation and racism were prevalent. He also refused to take on roles that portrayed negative stereotypes of black people, paving the way for more diverse and positive representation in film.

4. What are some of Sidney Poitier's most famous films?

Sidney Poitier is known for his roles in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner," "In the Heat of the Night," "To Sir, with Love," and "The Defiant Ones," among many others.

5. How did Sidney Poitier inspire future generations?

Sidney Poitier's success and influence as an actor, director, and activist paved the way for other African-American artists to pursue their dreams and make a positive impact in the entertainment industry. He continues to be a role model for many aspiring actors and activists.