Was Giuseppe Peano Influenced by Euclid in Developing Axiomatic Systems?

• Thread starter Knaapje
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Peano
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential influence of Euclid on Giuseppe Peano in his development of the Peano axioms and set theory. Sources and references are recommended, including the book "From Frege to Gödel" and the math genealogy website. The conversation also mentions the possibility of missed influences on Peano's work and suggests checking the edit pages of the Wikipedia article for more information.
Knaapje
Hello there,

First off: I realize this is not a history of math sub-forum, but I could not find any such thing.
Now, secondly: I'm writing an essay on the history axiomatic systems, and I found one or two sources that indicate that Giuseppe Peano was in fact influence by Euclid.I wonder whether any of it is true, since I can't find any book or trustable source that verifies it.

So, does anybody know a biography or other trustable article that sheds light on this matter?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would say yes but you'd have to make your case reviewing works of both Peano and Euclid to say.

Euclid influenced a lot of people prior to Peano and Peano had to have learned from them.

http://people.cst.cmich.edu/piate1kl/MTH_553_F07/Euclidean_Geometry_small.pdf

Maybe search first on Euclid influence in general and from there make a path to Peano and his Peano axioms and set theory.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm aware of the influential chain reaction of which you speak, but I was wondering if Euclid had a direct influence on Peano as he had with, say, Newton.

Unrelated sidenote:
I now absolutely hate wikipedia, for stating that Peano was influenced by Euclid, without any reference.

Hi Knaapje
I could recommend "From Frege to Gödel, a source book in mathematical logic" by van Heijenoort in which a section is dedicated to Peano
I don't remember any specific connection to Euclid there, so maybe I am being offtopic if what you really are after is showing or disproving such an influence (I would doubt such an influence didn't exist, for him or anyone else anyway)
But if you are after looking for what were possible influences, or even missed influences (Frege IIRC) for Peano, then it could be useful for you
Furthermore, and since the axiomatic way of building mathematics is such a huge concern, (I'm not sure about what you are really after in your essay), this book should give you a lot of food for thought, it really is incredible :)

you could also check out the math genealogy:

http://genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/from there you could make the connections back to Euclid.

With respect to the wiki artile you mentioned, you could check the edit pages to see who contributed and email them asking for the references you were looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Was Giuseppe Peano Influenced by Euclid in Developing Axiomatic Systems?

1. Did Euclid and Peano have any direct contact or communication?

No, Euclid and Peano lived in different eras. Euclid was a Greek mathematician who lived in the 3rd century BC, while Peano was an Italian mathematician who lived in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

2. How did Euclid's work influence Peano's work?

Euclid's work, particularly his book Elements, had a significant influence on Peano's work. Peano was inspired by Euclid's axiomatic approach to geometry and applied it to his own work in algebra and logic.

3. Did Peano make any direct references to Euclid in his work?

Yes, Peano referenced Euclid's work in his book Arithmetices Principia, Nova Methodo Exposita (The Principles of Arithmetic, Presented by a New Method). Peano specifically mentions Euclid's axioms and elements in relation to his own axiomatic system.

4. Did Peano's work on axioms and logic have any impact on Euclid's work?

No, Peano's work came centuries after Euclid's. However, Peano's axiomatic approach to mathematics did have an impact on later mathematicians, including David Hilbert, who used Peano's ideas in his own work on the foundations of geometry.

5. How has the relationship between Euclid and Peano been studied and analyzed by mathematicians?

The relationship between Euclid and Peano has been studied by mathematicians through the analysis of their works and the historical context in which they lived. Some mathematicians have also written about the influence of Euclid's work on Peano's and how it has shaped the development of mathematics over time.