Want to make sure I got the basics of voltage drops

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of delta gravitational potential energy as an analogy to delta electrical potential energy. It is noted that in a DC circuit with loads connected in series, there is a voltage drop across each load. However, the current remains the same throughout, indicating that the difference in potential energy is not converted into kinetic energy. The conversation also explores the idea that this energy is not converted into heat or light enough to account for the voltage drops. The use of analogies such as marbles or a stream of water is suggested to help understand the concept. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a question about the conversion of electrical energy in resistors and a link to a discussion on the topic.
Comfort_Cube
In my head, I'm using (delta)(gravitational potential energy) as an analogy to the (delta)(electrical potential energy). So, with a DC circuit with loads connected in series, we can observe a voltage drop across each load. Now, because the current remains the same throughout, it must mean that the difference in potential energy is not accounted for in kinetic energy (as you would typically think of with gravity) but some other forms of energy, because if it was kinetic energy, we should see current increasing as these voltage drops occur (yes? Faster electrons means more charge/s going through a cross-sectional area?). But then, I'm thinking, I don't think this energy is converted into heat or light or some other form of energy enough to account for the voltage drops. So is it to speed up the electrons back to their average speed after they slow down facing the load? This would mean that potential energy IS converted into kinetic energy, and that would now account for the voltage drop.

So, how much did my noob self mess up there people?

Physics news on Phys.org
Comfort_Cube said:
(delta)(gravitational potential energy) as an analogy to the (delta)(electrical potential energy)
... and, what are you "dropping" through the various del(gh)? Marbles? A stream of water? As an analog of current. Help any?

Comfort_Cube said:
But then, I'm thinking, I don't think this energy is converted into heat or light or some other form of energy enough to account for the voltage drops.

Why do you think this?

Related to Want to make sure I got the basics of voltage drops

1. What is voltage drop?

Voltage drop refers to the decrease in voltage that occurs when electricity flows through a circuit. It is caused by the resistance of the circuit components and can impact the performance of the circuit.

2. How is voltage drop calculated?

Voltage drop can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that voltage drop equals current multiplied by resistance. In a series circuit, the total voltage drop is equal to the sum of the individual voltage drops across each component.

3. What causes voltage drop?

Voltage drop is caused by the resistance of the circuit components, such as wires, connectors, and electrical devices. The longer the circuit and the higher the resistance, the greater the voltage drop will be.

4. How does voltage drop affect a circuit?

Voltage drop can affect the performance of a circuit by reducing the amount of voltage available to power the devices in the circuit. This can result in dimmer lights, slower motor speeds, and reduced efficiency of electrical devices.

5. How can voltage drop be reduced?

Voltage drop can be reduced by using larger diameter wires, minimizing the length of the circuit, and using components with lower resistance. It is also important to regularly check and maintain connections to ensure they are clean and tight, as loose connections can contribute to voltage drop.