Want this job? React fast? Taking down smoke stack.

• Thread starter Spinnor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job Smoke
In summary, the conversation discusses the recent BBC video clip of a worker weakening a tall smoke stack, and the potential dangers and benefits of using this method over explosives. It is suggested that this method allows for easier cleanup and more predictable falling patterns, and is also cheaper. The conversation also mentions that this technique has been used for thousands of years, and is only dangerous if not done properly.
Spinnor
Gold Member
BBC had video clip of a worker presumably weakening a tall smoke stack. Looks somewhat dangerous. See,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaR4cjqJ3Is#t=21

Why weaken it? Why not just use explosives?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ease of cleanup (as it falls in a nice line, instead of a giant pile) and predictability in how it will fall (so it doesn't crush nearby buildings/walls/etc. Plus it's cheaper than designing and executing a controlled explosion.

Spinnor said:
Looks somewhat dangerous.

People have been cutting down big trees that that was for thousands of years. It's only dangerous if you do it wrong ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JteV8r8YnN0

Related to Want this job? React fast? Taking down smoke stack.

1. What does "Want this job? React fast?" mean?

"Want this job? React fast?" is a phrase used to indicate that the job opening is in high demand and the employer is looking for quick responses from interested candidates.

2. What is the significance of "React fast" in the job description?

The phrase "React fast" in the job description implies that the employer is looking for candidates who are able to make quick decisions and take action in a timely manner.

3. Why is there a mention of "Taking down smoke stack" in the job title?

In this context, "Taking down smoke stack" is likely a metaphor for removing a barrier or obstacle. It could mean that the job is challenging and requires someone who is able to problem-solve and overcome obstacles efficiently.

4. Should I apply for this job if I am not able to "React fast"?

It ultimately depends on the specific job and its requirements. If the job description states that quick decision-making and action-taking are crucial, then it may not be the best fit for someone who is not able to "React fast." However, if you possess other relevant skills and experience, it may still be worth applying and highlighting those strengths in your application.

5. How can I show that I am able to "React fast" in my job application?

You can demonstrate your ability to "React fast" by providing examples of situations in your previous work experiences where you had to make quick decisions or take action under pressure. You can also highlight any relevant skills, such as time management, critical thinking, and problem-solving, that showcase your ability to react quickly in a professional setting.