VSEPR t-shaped geometry vs trig. planar

In summary, the trigonal planar shape has more angles between the lone pairs and the bonding pairs, which makes the repulsion between the lone pairs greater than the repulsion between the lone-bonding pairs. This causes the lone pairs to end up in the equatorial positions. However, this does not happen with the square planar shape, which has the same number of lone-bound and lone-bonding interactions.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

i'm confused as to why a molecule with 3 bonding pairs and 2 lone pairs takes on a t-shape rather than a trigonal planar shape.

My notes say that this is because in a t-shape, there are less 90 degree angles between the lone pairs and the bonding pairs than in a trigonal planar shape. However, i thought that the repulsion between lone pairs was greater than repulsion between lone-bonding pairs, so i would have expected the lone pair electrons would want to get as far away from each other more so than they would want to get away from the bonding electrons, and in trigonal planar they are as far away as possible from each other.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a really good question that I can't answer but I hope someone can. Maybe it has to do with hybridization?

By trigonal planar I'm assuming you mean that the molecule has trigonal bipyramidal geometry but places the lone pairs at 180 from each other?

yes that is what i meant. I basically want to know why the lone pairs go to the equatorial positions in a trigonal bipyramidal shaped molecule instead of going to the axial positions. And then, whatever the reason, why doesn't this happen if the molecule is octahedral? When the molecule is octahedral the lone pairs go to the axial position, not the equatorial positions. Seems inconsistent to me! :)

Hmm... I think I get it. In the video, he says it's because we are trying to minimise the number of 90 degree angles between the lone pairs and the bonding pairs. With axial lone pairs, he says, there are many more 90 degree angles.

At first I thought, surely it is six either way? With axial lone pairs, there is one 90 degree angle per lone pair / bond pair. With equatorial lone pairs, it's still one 90 degree angle per interaction.

But I think I understand that the point is in the second case, the bond angles are not 90 degrees: they are bent slightly wider. Is that it?

But that leaves me wondering why the same thing doesn't apply to square planar.

Last edited:
In the t-shape you have 1 lone - lone interactions with 120 deg, 4 lone - bound interactions with 90 deg, 2 lone - bound interactions with 120 deg, and 2 bound bound interactions with 90 deg.
In the trigonal shape you have 6 lone - bound interactions with 90 degs, and 3 bound-bound interactions at 120 deg.

But the repulsion between two bond pairs at 120 degrees will be much smaller than at 90 degrees. So you can concentrate on the interactions of pairs at a 90 degree angle.
For the t-shape you have 4 lone-bound and 2 bound- bound interactions compared to 6 lone-bound interactions in the trigonal shape.
Hence the t-shape is cleary energetically more stable.

Related to VSEPR t-shaped geometry vs trig. planar

1. What is VSEPR t-shaped geometry?

VSEPR (Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion) theory is a model used to predict the shape of molecules based on the repulsion between electron pairs in the valence shell of an atom. T-shaped geometry is a type of molecular shape in which there are three bonding pairs and two lone pairs of electrons around the central atom, resulting in a bent shape resembling the letter "T".

2. How does t-shaped geometry differ from trigonal planar geometry?

Trigonal planar geometry is a molecular shape in which there are three bonding pairs and no lone pairs of electrons around the central atom, resulting in a flat triangular shape. T-shaped geometry differs from this because it has two lone pairs of electrons, causing the shape to bend.

3. What types of molecules exhibit t-shaped geometry?

Molecules with a central atom bonded to three other atoms and having two lone pairs of electrons, such as chlorine trifluoride (ClF3) and bromine trifluoride (BrF3), exhibit t-shaped geometry.

4. What are the bond angles in molecules with t-shaped geometry?

The bond angles in molecules with t-shaped geometry are approximately 90 degrees between the two bonding pairs and approximately 120 degrees between the bonding and lone pairs.

5. How does t-shaped geometry affect the polarity of a molecule?

T-shaped geometry can make a molecule polar if the central atom has a higher electronegativity than the surrounding atoms. This is because the lone pairs on the central atom will create an uneven distribution of charge, resulting in a dipole moment. However, if the surrounding atoms have equal or higher electronegativity, the molecule will be nonpolar despite its bent shape.