Volumetric expansion Kelvin required?

In summary, the question is asking for the amount of gasoline that will spill out of a 20.9-gallon tank when the temperature rises from 11.5°C to 37.6°C. The equation used to solve this is ΔV = β(V0)ΔT, where ΔV is the change in volume, β is the coefficient of volumetric expansion for gasoline, V0 is the initial volume, and ΔT is the change in temperature. The solution should take into account the change in volume of both the gasoline and the steel tank.
litzkrieg
Volumetric expansion Kelvin required?

Homework Statement

Suppose that the steel gas tank in your car is completely filled when the temperature is 11.5 °C. How many gallons will spill out of the 20.9- gallon tank when the temperature rises to 37.6 °C?

Homework Equations

βgasoline = 950 x10-6
ΔV = β(V0)ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so this rele seemed like a plug and jug question to me and i just can't figure out where i went wrong. This is what I did, my only questions are where did i go wrong or maybe are the temperatures supposed to be in Kelvins or would Celsius work to?

(950*10^-6)*(20.9)*(26.1)
why isn't this right?

Thanks yall

Physics news on Phys.org

Since the size of a degree K and a degree C are the same, ΔT will be the same regardless of scale used.

Did you figure in the change in volume of the steel tank? Both are going to change (by different amounts) when the temperature changed.

Related to Volumetric expansion Kelvin required?

1. What is the Volumetric Expansion Kelvin required?

The Volumetric Expansion Kelvin required is a physical phenomenon that describes the change in volume of a substance when its temperature changes. It is also known as the coefficient of cubical expansion.

2. How is the Volumetric Expansion Kelvin required calculated?

The Volumetric Expansion Kelvin required is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of cubical expansion of the substance by its original volume and the change in temperature.

3. What factors affect the Volumetric Expansion Kelvin required?

The Volumetric Expansion Kelvin required is affected by the type of substance, its original volume, and the change in temperature. Different substances have different coefficients of cubical expansion, which determine how much their volume will change with temperature.

4. What is the unit of Volumetric Expansion Kelvin required?

The unit of Volumetric Expansion Kelvin required is usually expressed in units of length per degree Celsius (or Kelvin). For example, if the coefficient of cubical expansion is 0.00002 m/m°C, then the unit would be m/m°C or m/mK.

5. How is the Volumetric Expansion Kelvin required used in practical applications?

The Volumetric Expansion Kelvin required is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of structures that may be affected by temperature changes, such as bridges and railway tracks. It is also used in the design of thermometers and other temperature measuring devices. Additionally, it is used in industries that require precise control of temperature, such as in the production of food and beverages.