Volumes of Revolution Question

In summary: Great job summarizing the conversation! In summary, the conversation discusses computing the volume of a solid of revolution obtained by rotating a region bounded by two curves around the axis y=-1. The disc method is used and the solution involves calculating the volume of the entire region from 0 to 1 using the radius of x^2+x+1, then subtracting the volume of the squared middle region with a radius of 1. The final answer is 27pi/10.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let R be the region bounded by the curves y=0 and y=x^2+x between x=0 and x=1. Compute the volume of the solid of revolution obtained when R is rotated about the axis y=-1.

Homework Equations

Disc method: integral of pi*r^2 = volume from the bounds

The Attempt at a Solution

The bounds are obvious = 0 to 1.

The hard part is accounting for the empty area inbetween as we rotate around y=-1 rather then y=0.

What I did to solve the problem was moved the volume up 1 to the origin. I then solved the entire volume of the problem from 0 to 1 using the radius of x^2+x+1 (the +1 to account the entire area).
My answer here was 37pi/10.

I then went back and took the volume of the squared middle region which had radius of 1 and then subtracted that from my first answer.

My final answer was 27pi/10.

Can anyone confirm my train of thought/answer?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Let R be the region bounded by the curves y=0 and y=x^2+x between x=0 and x=1. Compute the volume of the solid of revolution obtained when R is rotated about the axis y=-1.

Homework Equations

Disc method: integral of pi*r^2 = volume from the bounds

The Attempt at a Solution

The bounds are obvious = 0 to 1.

The hard part is accounting for the empty area inbetween as we rotate around y=-1 rather then y=0.

What I did to solve the problem was moved the volume up 1 to the origin. I then solved the entire volume of the problem from 0 to 1 using the radius of x^2+x+1 (the +1 to account the entire area).
My answer here was 37pi/10.

I then went back and took the volume of the squared middle region which had radius of 1 and then subtracted that from my first answer.

My final answer was 27pi/10.

Can anyone confirm my train of thought/answer?

Thank you.
That works for me.

You could also do the problem without translating the region upward like so:
##\Delta V = \pi[(\text{outer radius})^2 - (\text{inner radius})^2]\Delta x##
where the outer radius is ##x^2 + x - (-1) = x^2 + x + 1## and the inner radius is 1.
The volume integral is then
##\pi \int_0^1 [(x^2 + x + 1)^2 - 1^2] dx##

Likes RJLiberator
Ah, so you managed to get the same answer as well? Confirming my result :D

Yes, same answer.

Likes RJLiberator

Related to Volumes of Revolution Question

1. What is a volume of revolution question?

A volume of revolution question is a type of math problem that involves finding the volume of a solid object that is formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis.

2. How do you solve a volume of revolution question?

To solve a volume of revolution question, you first need to determine the shape of the solid object and the axis of rotation. Then, use the appropriate formula (such as the disk or shell method) to calculate the volume.

3. What are the different methods for finding the volume of revolution?

The two most commonly used methods for finding the volume of revolution are the disk method and the shell method. Other methods include the washer method and the method of cylindrical shells.

4. What are some real-world applications of volume of revolution?

Volume of revolution has many real-world applications, including calculating the volume of a water tank or a cylindrical container, finding the volume of a fruit or vegetable that has a rotational symmetry, and determining the volume of a solid object created by a 3D printer.

5. What are some tips for solving volume of revolution questions?

To successfully solve volume of revolution questions, make sure you understand the concept of rotation and have a good grasp of basic geometry and calculus. It also helps to sketch the solid object and the axis of rotation to visualize the problem better. Practice and repetition will also improve your skills in solving these types of questions.