Volumes in Charge symmetry anf distribution problems

In summary, the speaker is self-studying Electricity and Magnetism and is struggling with understanding how to calculate volumes of arbitrary figures. They know how to set up volume integrals in coordinate systems, but struggle with determining cross-sectional areas and choosing the appropriate variable (dr, dx, dθ). They believe this is more difficult than vector calculus and are seeking advice on how to better understand this concept in physics.
Vismay
Hi everyone,
I am self-studying Electricity and Magnetism. I have a good grasp in Calculus, but still I am confused on how to figure out volumes of arbitrary figures(rest is easy). I know it's a bit silly. I mean how do we know how to choose a figure (like in case of hemisphere, you imagine rings inside hemisphere), how do we figure out cross sectional area and finally how do we set up integral. I mean I learned volume integrals in all coordinate systems, but they were different, i.e. they were simply bounded by some arbitrary surfaces or planes. Figuring out volume and cross-sectional areas is very difficult for me to grasp in Physics. That is more difficult than vector calculus. How do know that this part is dr, dx or we should now consider this angle to be dθ. I mean i understand the procedure, but don't know how, what and when to apply it. Possibly, because I started with a book called "Electricity and Magnetism" by Purcell. It has very very difficult problems. It is available on google play for review.

Please advice on what I must do next to understand this geometric concept in physics

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what is it about the physics that's bothering you. Look at the problem as a math question.

Related to Volumes in Charge symmetry anf distribution problems

What is charge symmetry in volumes?

Charge symmetry is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics remain unchanged when particles are replaced with their antiparticles, and left and right are swapped.

What is distribution in relation to volumes?

Distribution refers to the way in which an object or substance is spread or arranged over an area or volume. In the context of charge symmetry and volumes, distribution is important in understanding how the electric charge is distributed in a system.

How does charge symmetry affect volume calculations?

Charge symmetry does not have a direct effect on volume calculations. However, it is an important principle to consider when studying the behavior of electric charges in a system, as it can provide insights into the distribution of charges in a given volume.

What are some common problems involving charge symmetry and volume distributions?

Some common problems involving charge symmetry and volume distributions include determining the electric field or potential at a certain point in space, calculating the total charge enclosed within a given volume, and analyzing the behavior of charged particles in a symmetrically distributed system.

How is charge symmetry used in real-world applications?

Charge symmetry has many real-world applications, including in particle physics, where it is used to study the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It is also important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and potential in various systems, such as electronic circuits and plasma physics.