Volume of sphere using integration?

In summary: Yes, it is okay to learn triple integral. And the most straightforward way to learn it is by reading a textbook on the subject.
Prasun-rick
Is it possible to find the volume of a sphere(i know the formula) using definite integration ? And if possible how to proceed ??
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Prasun-rick said:
Is it possible to find the volume of a sphere(i know the formula) using definite integration ? And if possible how to proceed ??
Thanks in advance
Hello Prasun-rick, :welcome:

Wat is the formula you know ? And what do you know of integration ? Does ##\iiint dV ## mean anything to you ?

Likes Prasun-rick
Well I only know the geometrical formula of volume of the sphere (i.e frac{4/3}pi*r^3)..and I only happen to know integration in one dimension ..though your integral didn't make any sense ! What I will have to do to understand that??

In that case (working the three dimensional integral into a one-dimensional integral): do you know the volume of a disk that is obtained by revolving a rectangle around one of its sides ? (disk thickness a and radius b when revolving around the x-axis in the figure below)
upload_2016-8-8_10-1-4.png

Likes Prasun-rick
No sir I am afraid I don't know that ! Maybe the derivation is above my scope ! Btw thanks for your valuable comments ! I will get back when I have done the volume Integral of the disk to you for further discussion .

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/104413
Maybe I confused you. The result of this revolution is a disk like this and that volume is relatively easy to express in a and b ...

Likes Prasun-rick
BvU said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/104413
Maybe I confused you. The result of this revolution is a disk like this and that volume is relatively easy to express in a and b ...
Can you just pose the integral equation of the volume of the figure you posted !

Prasun-rick said:
Can you just pose the integral equation of the volume of the figure you posted !
It's not an integral. It's a disk. I lost the picture, here it is again, with the question: what is the volume, expressed in a and b ?:

upload_2016-8-8_14-21-12.png

Will it be pi*b^2*a??

It certainly is ! Now we are going to slice a sphere with radius r into disks of thickness ##dx##. What will be the volume of the disk at ##x## ?

upload_2016-8-8_14-34-30.png

Maybe this is better :
upload_2016-8-8_14-37-37.png

Likes Prasun-rick
Perfect. Next step: we are going to add up all these disks from -r to +r and if we take the limit for ##dx\downarrow 0## we get an integral. Can you write down that integral ? (it's an easy question, because you have almost all of it already...)

Likes Prasun-rick
BvU said:
Perfect. Next step: we are going to add up all these disks from -r to +r and if we take the limit for ##dx\downarrow 0## we get an integral. Can you write down that integral ? (it's an easy question, because you have almost all of it already...)
yeah maybe ∫pi*(r^2-x^2)dx with integral limits from -r to r ??

Bingo

Likes Prasun-rick
BvU said:
Bingo

Prasun-rick said:
But what is that
JavaScript:
/iiint dV
and how to solve it ??

It means you want to sum up infinitesimal volume elements ##dV##. A volume like a sphere has three dimensions, so three integrations are necessary. In cartesian coordinates you get the volume of a cube at the origin with size ##a## from $$
\int\limits_0^a \int\limits_0^a\int\limits_0^a dxdydz = a^3$$For a sphere the limits are unwieldy in cartesian, but comfortable in spherical coordinates. A volume element is ##r^2drd\phi d\theta## (##\theta## is azimuthal) so you get $$
\int\limits_0^{2\pi} \int\limits_0^\pi \int\limits_0^R \; r^2 \sin\theta \;dr \;d\theta \; d \phi = \\
2\pi \int\limits_0^\pi \int\limits_0^R \; r^2 \sin\theta \;dr \; d\theta =
4\pi \int\limits_0^R \; r^2 \; dr = \ ...
$$

(There are alternative notations, like ##\ \int\limits_{\rm Volume} d^3 V\ ##)

[edit] corrected order of ##d## in expressions but I think I still have it wrong. Need to check if we work outside in or inside out o:)

Last edited:
Likes Prasun-rick
BvU said:
It means you want to sum up infinitesimal volume elements ##dV##. A volume like a sphere has three dimensions, so three integrations are necessary. In cartesian coordinates you get the volume of a cube at the origin with size ##a## from $$
\int\limits_0^a \int\limits_0^a\int\limits_0^a dxdydz = a^3$$For a sphere the limits are unwieldy in cartesian, but comfortable in spherical coordinates. A volume element is ##r^2drd\phi d\theta## (##\theta## is azimuthal) so you get $$
\int\limits_0^{2\pi} \int\limits_0^\pi \int\limits_0^R \; r^2 \sin\theta \;d\phi d\theta dr = \\
2\pi \int\limits_0^\pi \int\limits_0^R \; r^2 \sin\theta \;d\theta dr =
4\pi \int\limits_0^R \; r^2 \; dr = \ ...
$$

(There are alternative notations, like ##\ \int\limits_{\rm Volume} d^3 V\ ##)
Is it okay for me to learn triple integral now?? And if yes then where to start??

Prasun-rick said:
Is it okay for me to learn triple integral now?? And if yes then where to start??
And please teach me how to give such prominent integral sign like the ones you are typing
!?

You get to see the ##\LaTeX## source if you right-click on a formula and choose 'Show math as ##TeX## commands' ...
Prasun-rick said:
Depends on what book or curriculum you are following; hard for me to answer. But it's always good to satisfy one's curiosity (is my opinion).

Likes Prasun-rick

Related to Volume of sphere using integration?

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a sphere using integration?

The formula for finding the volume of a sphere using integration is V = ∫∫∫ dV = ∫∫∫ r^2 sin(φ) dr dθ dφ, where r is the radius of the sphere and φ and θ are the angles that define the position of a point on the surface of the sphere.

2. Why is integration used to find the volume of a sphere?

Integration is used to find the volume of a sphere because it allows us to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object by summing up an infinite number of infinitesimal volumes. In the case of a sphere, integration allows us to sum up the volume of an infinite number of thin slices that make up the sphere, resulting in the total volume.

3. What are the limits of integration for finding the volume of a sphere?

The limits of integration for finding the volume of a sphere are 0 to 2π for θ, 0 to π for φ, and 0 to r for r. This is because we need to integrate over the entire surface of the sphere in all three dimensions.

4. Can the volume of a sphere be found using other methods besides integration?

Yes, the volume of a sphere can also be found using the formula V = 4/3πr^3, where r is the radius of the sphere. This formula is derived from the geometric properties of a sphere and does not involve integration.

5. How is the volume of a sphere using integration related to its surface area?

The volume of a sphere using integration is related to its surface area through the formula V = ∫∫∫ dV = ∫∫∫ r^2 sin(φ) dr dθ dφ, which can also be written as V = 4π∫∫ r^2 sin(φ) dr dθ. This shows that the volume of a sphere is directly proportional to its surface area, with a constant factor of 4π.