Volume of Rotation: Find Area Rotating Around Line

In summary: The radius of your circles run parallel to the x-axis, and the summing of the areas occurs along the y-axis axis (the circles are vertically stacked), which gives us∫\pi(x(y))^2ΔyIn this case, x(y) is not directly explicit. You have to use the given functions and the fact that it revolves around the x=3 axis to determine the real form of x(y)Oh. Wouldn't subtracting the functions from x=3 give the distance from it and thus the radii desired? Then subtracting the inner function from the
tree.lee

Homework Statement

Find volume when the area rotates around a line.

Homework Equations

x=y^2
x=1-y^2
about x = 3

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone please check my formula for Area? I have pi[ (3-(y^2))^2 - (2-(y^2))^2 ] which gives me the integral pi[5y-(2/3)y^3]. I think it's wrong though because I plugged it into the wolfram alpha program and it gives me the wrong answer, the answer according to the textbook is (10)(sqrt2)(pi)/3 and the program says according to my integral between the intersection points (-1/sqrt2, 1/sqrt2) the volume would be (14)(sqrt2)(pi)/3. I'm really confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
tree.lee said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x=y^2
x=1-y^2
about x = 3

Could someone please check my formula for Area? I have pi[ (3-(y^2))^2 - (2-(y^2))^2 ]
You are missing either ##\Delta x## or ##\Delta y##, which makes it harder for me to tell whether you are using disks or shells. I'm sure I could figure out what you're doing with some effort, but I shouldn't have to.
tree.lee said:
which gives me the integral pi[5y-(2/3)y^3]. I think it's wrong though because I plugged it into the wolfram alpha program and it gives me the wrong answer, the answer according to the textbook is (10)(sqrt2)(pi)/3 and the program says according to my integral between the intersection points (-1/sqrt2, 1/sqrt2) the volume would be (14)(sqrt2)(pi)/3. I'm really confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Mark44 said:
You are missing either ##\Delta x## or ##\Delta y##, which makes it harder for me to tell whether you are using disks or shells. I'm sure I could figure out what you're doing with some effort, but I shouldn't have to.

Oh, I think I'm using delta y. Like my widths are on the y axis? Is that what is meant? Sorry I'm not very good with terminology at all, haha.

The radius of your circles run parallel to the x-axis, and the summing of the areas occurs along the y-axis axis (the circles are vertically stacked), which gives us
[itex]∫\pi(x(y))^2Δy[/itex]
In this case, x(y) is not directly explicit. You have to use the given functions and the fact that it revolves around the x=3 axis to determine the real form of x(y)

I get the same number you got -- ##\frac{14 \pi \sqrt{2}}{3}##. Double-check the problem information and answer. If everything is as you reported, it seems that the book has a typo.

Last edited:
Brian T said:
The radius of your circles run parallel to the x-axis, and the summing of the areas occurs along the y-axis axis (the circles are vertically stacked), which gives us
The above is incorrect. tree.lee is using "washers", or disks with holes in them.
Brian T said:
In this case, x(y) is not directly explicit.
Please read the problem more carefully. Both functions give x explicitly in terms of y.
Brian T said:
You have to use the given functions and the fact that it revolves around the x=3 axis to determine the real form of x(y)

tree.lee said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

x=y^2
x=1-y^2
about x = 3

Could someone please check my formula for Area? I have pi[ (3-(y^2))^2 - (2-(y^2))^2 ] which gives me the integral pi[5y-(2/3)y^3]. I think it's wrong though because I plugged it into the wolfram alpha program and it gives me the wrong answer, the answer according to the textbook is (10)(sqrt2)(pi)/3 and the program says according to my integral between the intersection points (-1/sqrt2, 1/sqrt2) the volume would be (14)(sqrt2)(pi)/3. I'm really confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

3-(1-y^2) does not give 2-y^2.

Brian T said:
In this case, x(y) is not directly explicit. You have to use the given functions and the fact that it revolves around the x=3 axis to determine the real form of x(y)

Oh. Wouldn't subtracting the functions from x=3 give the distance from it and thus the radii desired? Then subtracting the inner function from the outer function should give the area I want to integrate, right? That gives me pi[5y-(2/3)y^3], doesn't it?
Mark44 said:
I get the same number you got -- ##\frac{14 \pi \sqrt{2}}{3}##.

But the textbook says (10)(sqrt2)(pi)/3.

tree.lee said:
But the textbook says (10)(sqrt2)(pi)/3.
Yes, I know. It might be a typo in the book. That has been known to happen.

What book are you using?

I believe I got the answer. Let me type out my work and someone correct me if I'm wrong

tree.lee said:
Oh. Wouldn't subtracting the functions from x=3 give the distance from it and thus the radii desired? Then subtracting the inner function from the outer function should give the area I want to integrate, right? That gives me pi[5y-(2/3)y^3], doesn't it?But the textbook says (10)(sqrt2)(pi)/3.
OH I
tree.lee said:
Oh. Wouldn't subtracting the functions from x=3 give the distance from it and thus the radii desired? Then subtracting the inner function from the outer function should give the area I want to integrate, right? That gives me pi[5y-(2/3)y^3], doesn't it?But the textbook says (10)(sqrt2)(pi)/3.
Sorry I posted replies that I didn't mean to I'm new to this forum and there are a lot of brackets saying quotes and stuff and it confuses me and I'm not sure what I"m inputting when I hit post reply. Sorry. Thanks for the help A LOT! I did double check everything.

tree.lee said:

No. See my post #7.

Dick said:
No. See my post #7.
Yes, good eye, Dick -- you're right. The inner radius is (3 - (1 - y2)2, which is (2 + y2)2. Using that gives the textbook's answer.

Mark44 said:
Yes, good eye, Dick -- you're right. The inner radius is (3 - (1 - y2)2, which is (2 + y2)2. Using that gives the textbook's answer.
Oh. Wow, this community is so cool. Thanks a billion. It's seriously appreciated. Hope you're all having a wonderful day. Thanks a lot Dick.

Related to Volume of Rotation: Find Area Rotating Around Line

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of rotation?

The formula for finding the volume of rotation is V = π∫(R(x))^2 dx, where R(x) represents the radius of rotation and dx represents the width of the infinitesimally thin slices being rotated.

2. How do you determine the axis of rotation?

The axis of rotation is determined by the line around which the area is being rotated. It is important to identify this line before using the formula to find the volume of rotation.

3. Can the volume of rotation be negative?

No, the volume of rotation cannot be negative. It represents a physical quantity and must have a positive value.

4. Is it necessary to use calculus to find the volume of rotation?

Yes, it is necessary to use calculus to find the volume of rotation. The formula involves integration, which is a fundamental concept in calculus.

5. Can the volume of rotation be found for any shape?

Yes, the volume of rotation can be found for any shape as long as it is rotated around a line. This includes shapes such as circles, rectangles, and even irregular shapes.