Volume of a tetrahedron of a function

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the volume integral of the function T=z^2 over a tetrahedron with specific corners. The solution involves finding the bounds and setting up the integral accordingly. The conversation ends with reassurance and gratitude.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume integral of the function T = z^2 over the tetrahedron with corners at
(0,0,0), (1,0,0) , (0,1,0), and (0,0,1)

The Attempt at a Solution

z to x (1,0,-1)
z to y (0,1,-1)

Then i crossed them to get (1,1,1)

Found the plane n dot (x-1, y , z) = x+y+z-1=0

Normally i'd have no problem from here, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to incorporate the T=z^2

Physics news on Phys.org
So you're dealing with the volume integral:

[tex]\int \int \int z^2 dz dy dx[/tex]

First thing is to find the bounds. You know that this is the volume contained in the first octant and bound by x+y+z-1=0. This can be rearranged to z=1-x-y, and the lower bound of z is zero (because it's in the first octant). So we can get our first bounds:

[tex]\int \int \int_0^{1-x-y} z^2 dz dy dx[/tex]

From there can you see the other two sets of bounds?

okay, so when z is 0 y= 1-x and x goes from 0 to 1. If that is right i did this initially and i need to have more confidence in my answers...

thank you for the clarification

No worries. Have a great day!

Related to Volume of a tetrahedron of a function

1. What is a tetrahedron?

A tetrahedron is a three-dimensional shape with four triangular faces, six edges, and four vertices. It is also known as a triangular pyramid.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a tetrahedron?

The volume of a tetrahedron can be calculated using the formula V = (1/3)*B*h, where B is the area of the base and h is the height of the tetrahedron.

3. What is the function of a tetrahedron?

The function of a tetrahedron is to serve as a geometric shape that can be used in various mathematical and scientific calculations, such as calculating volume or surface area.

4. How is the volume of a tetrahedron of a function different from a regular tetrahedron?

The volume of a tetrahedron of a function is calculated using a specific function or equation, whereas the volume of a regular tetrahedron is calculated using its dimensions. The shape of a tetrahedron of a function may also be different from a regular tetrahedron.

5. Can the volume of a tetrahedron of a function be negative?

No, the volume of a tetrahedron of a function cannot be negative as it represents a physical measurement of space and cannot have a negative value.