Voltages in bathroom appliance heating elements

In summary, the conversation discusses the workings of a curling iron and hair dryer, explaining that they both rely on heating elements at 120 volts and have switches for temperature control and overload protection. The speaker also mentions their difficulty in finding information on the specific voltage used in these appliances.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I'm doing a lecture on electricity for my class and one of the students at the beginning of the semester wanted to know how a curling iron works. So I've never ripped open a curling iron but I assume there's coils of wires within the little 'arm' parts that rely on ohmic heating. However, since I want to do a realistic example, I was wondering if anyone knows the voltage one might see across the heating element in a curling iron or even a hair dryer. The voltage at the wall is obviously 110-120V but I'm clueless as to whether or not anything is used in such an appliance to step up or down the voltage or even convert it to DC. I'm googling but anything with "curling iron" and "voltage" leads right to "european voltage converter for your bathroom accessories!" :(.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Curling iron - The arms just hold the hair in place against the metal tube, which has the heating element at 120 volts. Temperature switch controls current to element ( or voltage ) Temperature overload protection.

Blow dryer - 120 volts across element. switches to control motor speed and current to element. Overload temperature protection.

Basically very simple circuits.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-repair-small-appliances9.htm

Last edited:

Related to Voltages in bathroom appliance heating elements

1. What is the standard voltage for bathroom appliance heating elements?

The standard voltage for bathroom appliance heating elements is typically 120V for North America and 230V for Europe and other countries.

2. Can I use a higher voltage on my bathroom appliance heating element?

No, it is not recommended to use a higher voltage on your bathroom appliance heating element as it can lead to overheating and potentially cause damage or malfunction.

3. How can I determine the voltage of my bathroom appliance heating element?

You can determine the voltage of your bathroom appliance heating element by checking the product manual or label on the appliance itself. It should also be listed in the product specifications.

4. Is it safe to replace a bathroom appliance heating element with a different voltage?

No, it is not safe to replace a bathroom appliance heating element with a different voltage. It is important to use the correct voltage to ensure safe and proper functioning of the appliance.

5. Can I install a bathroom appliance heating element myself?

It is recommended to hire a professional electrician to install a bathroom appliance heating element, especially if it involves working with the electrical wiring. This will ensure the appliance is properly installed and minimize the risk of electrical hazards.