Voltage Regulators: Understanding Transistors Biasing at 11:35

In summary, the video is discussing voltage regulators and how the equation for Vb is derived. The speaker explains that Vcc/(R1+R2) gives the current through the two resistors, which may seem confusing since R1 and R2 are not connected in parallel. However, the speaker is using the approximation that the base current IB is very small, allowing R1 and R2 to be effectively in series. This simplifies the equation and makes it easier to understand. Overall, understanding this concept is important for solving problems related to voltage regulators.
kliker
hi i can't understand something in voltage regulators

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FJJre-HG_0&feature=channel

at 11:35 he starts explaning why Vb's equation is like that but i don't get it

at 12:00

he says that Vcc/(R1+R2) gives the current through the two resistors

but how is that possible? I mean in the circuit these two resistors don't have the same current because they are connected in parallel, so why does he say that they have the same current?

i can't get it, i would appreciate any explanation, this is the only thing that i can't understand from his lecture and i really need to understand it because i can't solve problems because of it

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
R1 and R2 aren't connected in parallel. Why do you think they are?

He's using the approximation that the base current IB is very small, so you can neglect it. This means all the current flowing through R1 also goes through R2. In other words, R1 and R2 are effectively in series so you have a simple voltage divider.

vela said:
R1 and R2 aren't connected in parallel. Why do you think they are?

He's using the approximation that the base current IB is very small, so you can neglect it. This means all the current flowing through R1 also goes through R2. In other words, R1 and R2 are effectively in series so you have a simple voltage divider.

thanks a lot ;)

one more question, can we always assume that Ib is too small?

Related to Voltage Regulators: Understanding Transistors Biasing at 11:35

1. What is a voltage regulator?

A voltage regulator is an electronic component that helps to maintain a steady voltage output in a circuit, regardless of any fluctuations in the input voltage. It is used to protect electronic devices from damage due to overvoltage or undervoltage.

2. How does a voltage regulator work?

A voltage regulator works by using a feedback loop to adjust the output voltage based on the input voltage. It compares the output voltage to a reference voltage and makes necessary changes to maintain a steady output. This is typically achieved using transistors and other electronic components.

3. What is transistor biasing?

Transistor biasing is the process of applying a DC voltage to a transistor in order to establish the operating point or quiescent point. This is necessary for the transistor to function correctly and provide the desired amplification or switching of signals.

4. Why is it important to understand transistor biasing for voltage regulators?

Transistor biasing is crucial for voltage regulators because it ensures that the transistor operates within its linear region, where it can provide a stable and accurate output voltage. Without proper biasing, the regulator may not function correctly and could potentially damage electronic components.

5. What is the significance of 11:35 in the title?

The time 11:35 is a reference to the specific time when a video or lecture may discuss the topic of transistor biasing in voltage regulators. It is not necessarily a significant number in relation to the topic itself.