Voltage of cylinder of radius R

In summary, a solid cylinder with a radius of 6 cm and uniform volume charge density of +7 µC/m3 and linear charge density of 7.9168E-8 C/m is given. The electric field at a radial distance of 7 cm from the axis of the cylinder is 20338.948 N/C, and at a radial distance of 5 cm it is 19773.9484 N/C. The voltage at different locations is required to be found, with V=0 set at r=3R. The correct method is to add up the integrals of the electric fields inside and outside the cylinder. The potential at r = 0 is found to be -4005.527 V.
TwinCamGTS
ε

Homework Statement

A very long solid cylinder of radius R = 6 cm has:
-uniform volume charge density ρ = +7 µC/m3.
-linear charge density λ = 7.9168E-8 C/m

Outside: What is the electric field at a radial distance of 7 cm from the axis of the cylinder?
Inside: What is the electric field at a radial distance of 5 cm from the axis of the cylinder?

Voltage: Setting V=0 at r=3R, find the voltage at the following locations:
V (r = 0)
V (r = R/2)
V (r = R)
V (r = 2R)
V (r = 4R)

Homework Equations

using gauss law to find the electric field inside and outside the cylinder

inside the cylinder E = ( ρ*r )/(2*εo)

outside the cylinder E = ( λ )/(2*∏*r*εo)

Voltage is just integration of E, so V=-∫Edr

The Attempt at a Solution

I find the electric field from the axis 0m to 0.07m using E = ( λ )/(2*∏*r*εo), i got 20338.948 N/C

I find the electric field from the axis 0m to 0.05m using E = ( ρ*r )/(2*εo), i got 19773.9484 N/C

The problem i have is to find the voltage from the asked distance to distance r=3R
we set V at 3R = 0.

i do the integration on E = ( ρ*r )/(2*εo) from r=0 to r=R to find the Voltage inside the cylinder

then do integration on E = ( λ )/(2*∏*r*εo) from r=R to r=3R to find the voltage outside the cylinder.

when it ask find the voltage at r=0, it means that i have to find the ΔV, which is from
V(r=0) to v(r=3R), then i do separate integral on that two different E equation, then add them up. Since V at r=3R is 0, then i pretty much ignored it during the integration. but i got it wrong. how am i supposed to do this. i have try many method and i think this is the correctway to do it. can someone help me out or explaining it to me? Thank you for your time and reply

Attachments

• voltage.jpg
    voltage.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 985
  • voltage (2).jpg
    voltage (2).jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 929
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For finding the potential at r = 0, you're right in having to add up the two integrals, one from r = 3R to r = R, then another from r = R to r = 0, but in your work there's only one. What happened to the other?

yeah, that's what i thought but the webassign said my answer is wrong, so i wonder what is the way to do it then?

so you say the method I am doing it is correct isn't it?

Or is be because the equation that i use is wrong?
when r=R, do i use equation of r gauss < R cylinder or r gauss > R cylinder?

if that is the way to do it, then might be the way i setting up the equation for the integral is wrong.

what do you thnk?

Yes, that method should be correct. Think about it like this:
$$\Delta V = V(r) - V(3R)$$
So this means that
$$V(r) = V(3R) + \Delta V$$
You know that V(3R) = 0, and also that you start integrating from 3R. So say to find the potential at r = 0:
$$V(r = 0) = 0 - \int^{R}_{3R}E_{outside}dr - \int^{0}_{R}E_{inside}dr$$
I think that's what you were doing -- you may have been a little off in the bounds or what field to use perhaps. And when r = R, you don't really pick between the fields -- R is when the field changes, so it's more that you switch the fields between the two integrals.

Likes 1 person
i don't know what to do.
I just do the easiest thing first, which is find the voltage V at r=R
based on the integration, i have 2 answers.
either 711.864 (integrated from r=0 to r=R) or 4005.527 (integrated from r=3R to r=R)
i put down either answer, and its wrong...

i find out that its weird, based on the graph of the voltage over radius,
the voltage from r=0 to r=R should be greater than from r=R to r=3R.
but based on the integral value, its the opposite.

Attachments

• E field and Voltage graph comparison.png
    E field and Voltage graph comparison.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 2,046
Okay, so you evaluated both integrals, correct? But the answer isn't either of those -- look at the expression I posted. Those integrals are added together, right? Also, talking about the voltage at R is misleading -- what that means is the potential with respect to zero (V(3R)), so only the value of V(R) - V(3R) is meaningful. V(0) - V(R) means the potential difference between 0 and R, but says nothing about the potential at R.

I finally got it right. Apparently i was stupid to cross out the value during the integration just because they set the V=0 at r=3R. so i ended up get everything wrong.
thank you for your help :D
i appreaciate it

Related to Voltage of cylinder of radius R

1. What is the formula for calculating the voltage of a cylinder of radius R?

The formula for calculating the voltage of a cylinder of radius R is V = (Q * ln(R2/R1))/2πε0, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge, R2 is the outer radius, R1 is the inner radius, π is the mathematical constant pi, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

2. How does the radius of a cylinder affect its voltage?

The radius of a cylinder directly affects its voltage. As the radius increases, the voltage also increases. This is because the voltage is directly proportional to the natural logarithm of the ratio of the outer and inner radii.

3. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V). It is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit.

4. Can the voltage of a cylinder of radius R be negative?

Yes, the voltage of a cylinder of radius R can be negative. This can occur if the charge Q is negative, or if the inner radius R1 is greater than the outer radius R2.

5. How can the voltage of a cylinder of radius R be measured experimentally?

The voltage of a cylinder of radius R can be measured by using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected between two points on the cylinder's surface, and the voltage is then read from the voltmeter's display. This measurement can be repeated at different points on the surface to calculate the average voltage.