Voltage drop across ideal solenoidal inductor

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying Faraday's law in a simple LCR circuit using a solenoid. The configuration of the solenoid is described and the direction of the magnetic field and induced electric field are determined. However, there are conflicting results when calculating the voltage drop along the solenoidal path. To simplify the calculations, it is suggested to use a single flat loop or a stack of flat loops with the contour of one loop and the bounded surface.
genxium
First by ideal I mean zero resistance. I tried to verify Faraday's law in simple LCR circuit but ran into some conflicting results. Though the description below will be a little verbose, the configuration for this problem is extremely simple: assume that I put a solenoid ##\left\{\begin{array}{c} x(\tau) = r_0 \cdot cos (\omega \cdot \tau) \\ y(\tau) = r_0 \cdot sin (\omega \cdot \tau) \\ z(\tau) = v \cdot \tau \end{array}\right. ## in a 3D Cartesian coordinate. Given 2 points ##a, b## on this solenoid where ##a## corresponds to ##\tau=0## and ##b## corresponds to ##\tau=T##(large enough to contain more than 1 turn). All constants are positive if not otherwise specified.

If a current ##I## flows in direction ##a \rightarrow b## then it yields a ##\textbf{B}## field to the ##z_+## direction. Now assume that ##\frac{\partial I}{\partial t} > 0##, according to Lenz's law, I shall expect the inductive ##\textbf{E}## field circulates clockwisely viewed in direction ##z_+ \rightarrow z_-##, i.e. ##\textbf{E}(\textbf{r}) = |E(\textbf{r})| \cdot sin\theta \cdot \hat{\textbf{x}} + (-|E(\textbf{r})| \cdot cos\theta) \cdot \hat{\textbf{y}}## where ##\theta## is the angle subtended by ##\textbf{r}## counter-clockwisely with respect to ##x-axis##.

I suppose that the voltage DROP from a to b is positive in this case, i.e. ## \int_0^T \textbf{E} \cdot d \textbf{l} > 0##, however the path integral

## \int_0^T \textbf{E} \cdot d \textbf{l}##
##= \int_0^T -|E| r_0 \omega \cdot sin\theta \cdot sin(\omega \tau) - |E| r_0 \omega \cdot cos\theta \cdot cos(\omega \tau) \cdot d\tau ##
##= \int_0^T -|E| r_0 \omega \cdot [cos(\omega \tau) cos\theta + sin(\omega \tau) sin\theta] \cdot d\tau##
##= \int_0^T -|E| r_0 \omega \cdot cos(\omega \tau - \theta) \cdot d\tau##
##= -T \cdot |E| r_0 \omega < 0##

where use has been made of ##\theta = \omega \cdot \tau## at every point on the path and ##d\textbf{l} = dx \cdot \hat{\textbf{x}} + dy \cdot \hat{\textbf{y}} + dz \cdot \hat{\textbf{z}}##. I checked the calculation for several times but still got the same result. This is confusing me badly, is anyone willing to help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you use t both for time and as parameter for the solenoid shape? That is confusing.

mfb said:
Do you use t both for time and as parameter for the solenoid shape? That is confusing.

Sorry for that :( I've updated the notations

First, the path that you integrate over needs to be a closed path. This one is not.

Second, the surface over which you calculate the flux must be bounded by the loop. For a solenoid that is a very complicated surface, I am not at all sure how you would calculate that.

I would recommend simplifying a lot. Use a single flat loop of wire, and go from there.

DaleSpam said:
First, the path that you integrate over needs to be a closed path. This one is not.

Second, the surface over which you calculate the flux must be bounded by the loop. For a solenoid that is a very complicated surface, I am not at all sure how you would calculate that.

I would recommend simplifying a lot. Use a single flat loop of wire, and go from there.

@mfb gave me satisfying answers about a flat loop in this thread. I agree that the surface over which the flux is calculated is complicated thus when reasoning the direction of the inductive ##E## field I used Lenz's Law instead of Faraday's Law. This is a method I learned in high school and I think it's an approximation regarding that each turn of the solenoid is approximately parallel to the ##XY## plane, i.e. ##v## is small in ##z(\tau) = v \cdot \tau##.

If the math cannot be simplified for the solenoid, is there any other way to show that whether the voltage drops or increases from a to b along the solenoidal path?

If you have already done a flat loop then the easiest thing will be to consider a stack of several flat loops. Use the contour of one loop and the surface bounded by that loop.

Related to Voltage drop across ideal solenoidal inductor

What is an ideal solenoidal inductor?

An ideal solenoidal inductor is a type of electrical component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is made up of a coil of wire, typically wrapped around a cylindrical core, and is designed to have a high inductance value.

What causes voltage drop across an ideal solenoidal inductor?

The voltage drop across an ideal solenoidal inductor is caused by the back EMF (electromotive force) produced when the current passing through the inductor changes. This back EMF opposes the change in current and results in a voltage drop across the inductor.

How is the voltage drop across an ideal solenoidal inductor calculated?

The voltage drop across an ideal solenoidal inductor can be calculated using the formula V = Ldi/dt, where V is the voltage drop, L is the inductance of the inductor, i is the current passing through the inductor, and dt is the change in time. This formula is known as the inductor equation.

Is the voltage drop across an ideal solenoidal inductor constant?

No, the voltage drop across an ideal solenoidal inductor is not constant. It is dependent on the rate of change of current passing through the inductor. The higher the rate of change, the higher the voltage drop will be.

How does the voltage drop across an ideal solenoidal inductor affect the circuit?

The voltage drop across an ideal solenoidal inductor can affect the circuit in several ways. It can limit the amount of current that can flow through the circuit, and it can also cause delays in the response of the circuit to changes in input voltage or current. In certain circuits, the voltage drop across an inductor can also be used to filter out unwanted frequencies.