Voltage divider; missing capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses a question related to using sinusoidal input and output waveforms with a voltage divider. The participants suggest using conductivity instead of impedance and using a ratio of 9 to 1 for the imaginary parts of the complex impedances between points A and B.
mathman44

Homework Statement

fc4m8p.jpg

I can't seem to get a start on this. Could anyone provide a hint or something to get me started? Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't entirely get this questions either...does the fact that the output is an exact reduced copy mean that if we restrict ourselves to sinusoidal input, for any input frequency, there is no phase difference between the input and output waveforms?

Anybody? I tried setting the "right" impedance equal to 1/9th of the "left" impedance to reform the voltage divider but this is a huge mess.

mathman44 said:
Anybody? I tried setting the "right" impedance equal to 1/9th of the "left" impedance to reform the voltage divider but this is a huge mess.

You can do it that way. It's easier to work with conductivity: 1/impedance

The "right" conductivity is [itex] 10^{-6} + j \omega 10^{-10} [/itex]

The conductivity between A and B should be 9 times that.

You want the imaginary parts of the complex impedences to be in the same ratio as the real parts; 9 to 1.

Related to Voltage divider; missing capacitor

1. What is a voltage divider?

A voltage divider is an electrical circuit that is used to divide a larger voltage into a smaller voltage. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a specific voltage to a component.

2. How does a voltage divider work?

A voltage divider is made up of two or more resistors in series. The voltage across each resistor is proportional to its resistance, so the total voltage is divided between the resistors. This creates a smaller voltage at the output of the divider.

3. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a voltage divider?

A capacitor is not necessary for a voltage divider to function, but it can be used to help stabilize the output voltage and filter out any unwanted noise or fluctuations. It can also be used to adjust the output voltage by changing its capacitance.

4. What happens when a capacitor is missing from a voltage divider?

Without a capacitor, the output voltage of the divider may be less stable and more susceptible to noise or fluctuations. It may also be difficult to adjust the output voltage without the presence of a capacitor.

5. How can I calculate the output voltage of a voltage divider without a capacitor?

To calculate the output voltage of a voltage divider without a capacitor, you will need to know the values of the resistors in the circuit and use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to determine the voltage drop across each resistor. The total output voltage will be the sum of the voltage drops across each resistor.