Visualizing Immersions vs. Submersions

• Thread starter dreamtheater
  • Start date
A submersion would look like a smooth curve with no self-intersections or critical points, and the tangent plane is defined at each point.
dreamtheater
What is the best way to intuitively and visually distinguish between immersion and submersions? For example, I understand that the standard picture of the Klein Bottle in R^3 is an immersion. How do I see this? (Obviously, it's not an embedding because the Klein Bottle self-intersects in R^3. But how do I see that the differential map is 1-to-1 but not onto?) What would a submersion look like?

Also, can I visualize a copy of the real line in R^3 so that, it is an immersion but not a submersion nor an embedding? Also as a submersion but not an immersion?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way something can be a submersion and an immersion is if it's a local diffeomorphism (e.g. a covering map, like the real line to S^1). It's difficult to tell by visual inspection if a map is an immersion - you just calculate the Jacobian. A submersion can most readily be seen by a map R^2->R^1 with no critical points (since then you can visualize it as a graph in R^3).

dreamtheater said:
What is the best way to intuitively and visually distinguish between immersion and submersions? For example, I understand that the standard picture of the Klein Bottle in R^3 is an immersion. How do I see this? (Obviously, it's not an embedding because the Klein Bottle self-intersects in R^3. But how do I see that the differential map is 1-to-1 but not onto?) What would a submersion look like?

Also, can I visualize a copy of the real line in R^3 so that, it is an immersion but not a submersion nor an embedding? Also as a submersion but not an immersion?

it is am immersion because there is a tangent plane
it is not onto because the normal does not lie on the tangent plane

a line that spirals infinitely around a point and converges to that point is not embedded.

Related to Visualizing Immersions vs. Submersions

1. What is the difference between visualizing immersions and submersions?

Visualizing immersions and submersions is all about understanding the relationship between two objects or surfaces. Immersion refers to one object being completely surrounded by another object, while submersion refers to one object being partially submerged within another object.

2. How can visualizing immersions and submersions be useful in scientific research?

Visualizing immersions and submersions is useful in various scientific fields such as biology, chemistry, and physics. It allows scientists to understand the behavior of fluids, gases, and other substances when they are immersed or submerged in different environments.

3. What are some examples of immersions and submersions in everyday life?

In everyday life, immersions and submersions can be seen in activities such as swimming, where our bodies are immersed in water, and cooking, where food is submerged in boiling water. Other examples include filling a cup with water, where the cup is immersed in the water, and a fish in a fish tank, where the fish is submerged in water.

4. Can the concepts of immersions and submersions be applied to non-physical objects?

Yes, the concepts of immersions and submersions can also be applied to non-physical objects such as data and information. For example, a person can be immersed in a new language by fully surrounding themselves with it, or a company can be submerged in debt by being partially consumed by financial obligations.

5. How can understanding visualizing immersions and submersions contribute to problem-solving?

By understanding visualizing immersions and submersions, scientists can use this knowledge to solve problems related to fluid dynamics, surface tension, and many other phenomena. It also allows for better understanding and prediction of how objects will interact with their surroundings, leading to more effective problem-solving strategies.