Visiting local engineering companies

In summary: Places like Google, Facebook, and Microsoft were founded by people who did their undergraduate work at Stanford, UC Berkeley, and MIT, respectively. They were lucky enough to be accepted into these programs and then got the chance to work with some of the best minds in their field.In summary, it is a good idea to contact an engineering department at a university to see if they are interested in having a student visit.
Johnx014
I am a high school senior graduating in a couple of weeks. This summer, I'll be starting college on track to complete a degree in Aerospace Engineering. I'm fairly certain engineering is what I want to pursue, but it's still unclear to me what the engineering work space and day-to-day would be like. I had the idea to get in touch with some local companies. Do you think they would be open to letting a student visit and see what they do there? Who would be the best person to contact?

edit: Realizing this may be the wrong thread. My apologies, if it is.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Johnx014 said:
Do you think they would be open to letting a student visit and see what they do there? Who would be the best person to contact?
It's a great idea and I'm sure they'd be willing to show you around. Impress them and they might invite you back for summer work or an internship. Contact the secretary and they can help you.

Johnx014 said:
I am a high school senior graduating in a couple of weeks. This summer, I'll be starting college on track to complete a degree in Aerospace Engineering. I'm fairly certain engineering is what I want to pursue, but it's still unclear to me what the engineering work space and day-to-day would be like. I had the idea to get in touch with some local companies. Do you think they would be open to letting a student visit and see what they do there? Who would be the best person to contact?

edit: Realizing this may be the wrong thread. My apologies, if it is.

Contact their Human Resources (HR) department. You have a pretty good shot at getting a brief tour and contact with working engineers.

Also, check with the college you are going to attend. They may have some good contacts for work experience for you.

A contact between an engineering department at a university and an industry can be brilliant. It can put money, talent, and curiosity together to produce great research. The result can be lots of good journal articles and lots of advances in some industry. Many people get rich and famous.

At the worst, such contacts are good prospects for jobs. This is true both during our degree, and after you graduate.

Likes berkeman

Related to Visiting local engineering companies

1. How can I schedule a visit to a local engineering company?

To schedule a visit to a local engineering company, you can reach out to the company's human resources or public relations department. They will be able to provide you with information on available dates and times for a visit.

2. What should I expect during my visit to a local engineering company?

During your visit, you can expect to meet with engineers and other employees to learn about their work and projects. You may also have the opportunity to tour the facility and see some of the equipment and technology in action.

3. How can I make the most out of my visit to a local engineering company?

To make the most out of your visit, come prepared with questions about the company and their work. Take notes and engage in conversations with employees to gain a deeper understanding of their role and the company's operations.

4. Can I bring a group for a visit to a local engineering company?

Yes, many engineering companies offer group visits for educational or professional development purposes. However, it's important to contact the company in advance and make arrangements for a group visit.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should be aware of during my visit to a local engineering company?

Yes, it's important to follow all safety guidelines and procedures while visiting a local engineering company. This may include wearing safety gear, following specific protocols, and staying within designated areas. It's also important to listen to and follow the instructions of company employees during the visit.