Virtual particles and Gauss's Law

In summary, Gauss's Law does apply to virtual particles when computing the field around a real proton. However, the contribution of all virtual charges within a closed surface cancel each other out, resulting in a three-dimensional delta function correction to the potential. This can be seen in the Lamb shift effect. Additionally, the screening of charges by virtual charges can be calculated using the virtual particle model and the temporal gauge A°(x)=0 can be used to quantize QED while respecting the Gauss law constraint.
PeterPumpkin
Does Gauss's Law apply to virtual particles?

For example, when computing the field around a real proton, is the net charge in Gauss's Law the proton charge plus the contribution of all the virtual charges within the closed surface?

(I'm thinking about the screening of charges by virtual charges. I realize the contribution of most virtual charges will cancel.)

Physics news on Phys.org
For example, when computing the field around a real proton, is the net charge in Gauss's Law the proton charge plus the contribution of all the virtual charges within the closed surface? (I'm thinking about the screening of charges by virtual charges. I realize the contribution of most virtual charges will cancel.)
This is an interesting point, PP. Not just most of the virtual charges cancel, all of them do. They are produced in pairs, and there's exactly as many positive ones as negative ones. They do affect the Coulomb field, but not in the way that's usually visualized. Most people think of the screening as a gradual thing. That is, as you approach the origin you would gradually see more and more charge. Not so. Picture the virtual pairs as little dipoles pointing toward the origin. By symmetry the field they produce adds up to zero. Everywhere except the origin, where it is singular. And in fact if you use QED to calculate the leading radiative correction to a Coulomb field, that's what you get:

V(r) = e2/r + C δ(x)

where C is a constant. The correction to the potential is a three-dimensional delta function. If this is a proton we're talking about, the only electron orbitals affected by the extra term are the S wave electrons, whose wavefunction at the origin does not vanish. The effect produced by this is the well-known Lamb shift.

Thanks. I was wondering could one calculate the screening from the virtual particle model?

Seconding, I was wondering do all the virtual charges vanish within the gaussian suface? The virtual charges will be polarised and so, if you thinking of the charges that intersect the gaussian surface, there must be more negative inside the surface than outside. That's assuming we're talking about the screening round a proton.

Using the temporal gauge A°(x)=0 one can quantize QED using physical states which are in the kernel of the Gauss law, i.e. G(x)|phys> = 0. So the physical Hamiltonian, physical electrons, positrons and photons always respect the Gauss law constraint.

Related to Virtual particles and Gauss's Law

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are particles that are believed to exist briefly as fluctuations in the quantum vacuum. They are not directly observable but their effects can be seen in certain physical phenomena.

2. How are virtual particles related to Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the electric field at a given point to the charge enclosed within a surface surrounding that point. Virtual particles are often used in theoretical calculations related to Gauss's Law to account for the effects of quantum fluctuations.

3. Can virtual particles violate Gauss's Law?

No, virtual particles do not violate Gauss's Law. They are simply a mathematical tool used in theoretical calculations to account for quantum effects. The overall balance of charge is still maintained and Gauss's Law is still valid.

4. Are virtual particles real particles?

Virtual particles are not considered to be real particles in the traditional sense, as they cannot be directly observed. They are more accurately described as a mathematical concept used to explain certain physical phenomena.

5. How do virtual particles contribute to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with complete precision. Virtual particles are thought to contribute to this uncertainty by constantly appearing and disappearing in the quantum vacuum, making it impossible to know the exact state of the vacuum at any given time.